Ice out Predictions?

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Any predictions?

The clunker went though on April 9th last year and I had my boat out on Menomin around the 20th.
    What are the guesses for this year?

Pete

redneck
    Rosemount

After the weather today—July 5th

Don Hanson

I am predicting heavy rain the last week of march. Ice will be off April 2nd. Crappies will be in full force two weeks before the walley opener. water temp will be 62 for the opener.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Owwwwww, Don I like the way you think. Sure hope your right. I’ll go with Don’s prediction. With the rotten first ice bite this year, should be a GREAT spring crappie and bluegill year since all those thousands of fish were not removed from the system the 3-4 weeks of first ice.
    I see trophy gillers in my future.

Jeremy

jhalfen

It looked like the north end of the lake was getting rotten when I drove above it on 94 last Saturday.

Ice out can’t happen soon enough.

pmk1500
    Elk Mound,WI

Hey Pete,

My guess, Sat. April 11th. I’ll be at the landing for a Spring boat check-out (with crappie gear).

Mike K.

bigpike

How late can I put in my prediction I’m holding back on mine yet

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

With temps of 65 today and rains next week I would say ice out on April 1st.
    Steve

Don Hanson

There should be some quick warmup shallow areas. Am a bettin the crappies will be on a terror as soon as boats can be launched.

jhalfen

Looked like ~ 100 yards of open water south of the 94 bridge yesterday.

Don Hanson

Some wind along with rain should open that up quick. The lower Red Cedar is running pretty good.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I see the clunker went through, looks like were about 2.5 weeks ahead of last year

Don Hanson

If things hold we could have our limit and Steve back in bed before sun up on the opener.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’m ready!!!

leinieman

Heck we going at midnight this year? Maybe breakfast at the park. Should be able to cook up some eggs and sausage or something. I heare its gonna be 60 degrees and sunny that day.
    Steve

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Heck we going at midnight this year? Maybe breakfast at the park. Should be able to cook up some eggs and sausage or something. I heare its gonna be 60 degrees and sunny that day.
    Steve

As I recall last year was rain/sleet/snow mix and wind to the tune of 3am

Sweet!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

You saying I should be anchored up at 11:30PM? Sort of like getting your duck blind ready ahead of schedule on the duck noon opener.
    Like the breakfast in the park idea.

Don Hanson

You can be out there at 11:30 but no anchoring allowed!

leinieman

There will be no rain, sleet and snow this year. All we will need is a bucket of Oh yeah and some high vis line.

Don Hanson

Opening day weather= temp. 44= northwest wind 35 to 45 mph. rain and hail- tornado warnings.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Opening day weather= temp. 44= northwest wind 35 to 45 mph. rain and hail- tornado warnings.

Hah!

Call me when you guy’s get in and let me know how you did, I’ll be sitting on ido drinking coffee

leinieman

Sounds like perfect walleye chop. :yay I’m sure we will hammer them.
    Steve

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Is the ice off the cemetary yet?? I am hungry for crappies.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Is the ice off the cemetary yet?? I am hungry for crappies.

Better question is, Is there still ice enough on the cemetary to a guy to target last ice crappies?

I might have to make a drive down this afternoon and check it out.

Don Hanson

The ice doesn’t look so very good! Looks like the channel has opened things up to Wolkes point.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Went through Sat night the 21st on our way to Alma and there was still a guy ice fishing to the SE of the clunker. Several cars along the dam outlet, seemingly low flow considering some of the raging waters I have seen there. Even remember one day taking a canoe from the dam down to Downsville. Didn’t take long that day, big rollers from the corner down to the 29 bridge.

On the way back through town from Alma, the clunker tires were through and I wondered if I should find a Lion to buy a raffle ticket!!! Great to be back in town and hoping to run through one more time this spring.

Mark

tjxl

I looked out the window when I got home and there was a guy fishing tonight in the bay….. ice does not look that good to me but there have been a few guys out there every night for the last few nights…..

Be safe

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

I will be in Germany until Sat May 2nd, so I am hoping you leave a few for me on Sunday. Best way to combat jet lag is a good day fishing

Don Hanson

What no boats on the lake? Wakanda and Wolske Bay road landings are open. Whos going to be the first to boat some slabs?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

What no boats on the lake? Wakanda and Wolske Bay road landings are open. Whos going to be the first to boat some slabs?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.