Another… Quick Menomin Report, 10/23/08

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Between class, work, and sneakin out pheasant hunting with Don, I haven’t been getting out fishing as much as I would like.

Today at work I was looking at the weather, 15mph from the East with gusts to 22mph? I didn’t really plan on getting out fishing because of the conditions. However after I talked to Woody and it sounded like he was poking a few fish so I figured I’d give it a shot.

Yesterday when I was out I had a bit of trouble dialing in a bite but ended up with about half a dozen fish and 2 around 16 inches.

Today when I got out I decided not to even try messing around with 1/8oz jig’s because of the wind and drag 3/16 and 1/4oz jigs from 18 to 10fow and back again. With the bite starting off slower yet than yesterday it took me a while to get a working pattern down. After about 30min of searching for fish, I finally found a pod of 12-16.5” eye’s in 13-14 fow and they were slammin the bait! I caught about 8 or so eyes with 3 making it over the 15” mark. After that 45min flurry of fish my bait went untouched for about 20min. Finally I had a nice hit followed by several nice headshakes and this eye that just touched the 25.5” mark made its way to the boat (Once again, sorry for the bad pic, The camera is facing up off my front seat, I need to figure out how to take pic’s of myself when i’m fishing alone)

Obviously the fish was CPR’ed (as the rest) and I continued fishing for about 15min without much luck.

Despite the weather lately there are fish to be caught. The walleyes are finally co-operating and the crappies and more than willing to annihilate bait as well.

Hope to see ya guy’s on the water!

Pete

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.