Menomin Mixed Bag 6-17-03

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Hit the lake today around 4 p.m. and quit about 8:30. Went after pike 1st. The bite slowed way down from last week. Managed to get a few along with some whitebass that were in the weeds and willing to hit a buzzbait. Got the trolling boards & shad raps out & trolled the rest of the day. Caught a pile of fish, at times could not keep 3 lines in the water. Caught more pike up to 28″, smallmouth, crappie, bluegill, perch, a 30″ carp that inhaled my shad rap!!!, over a dozen sub-legal ‘eyes. Kept 2 ‘eyes that were 19″ & 20″ along with a 13″ crappie & 11″ perch. Fish were in depths that ranged from 6′ – 11’. They really showed no color preference as they hit anything I put in the water.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Sounds like fun!

Would you say that the overall bite has slowed since last week or just pike?

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

It was!! Just the pike, Kid. Not completely sure why. Maybe it was the time of day, sun, heat? That is my opinion. I think they were still there, just positioned deeper in the weeds. In previous years, could still have fished farther back in the weeds because you could have effectively fished a buzzbait without it fouling very often. This year there tends to be more slime and clingy “stuff” in the weeds. Tried using a “Slop Hog” but the slime sticks to them also and the weeds have yet to develop a good grass mat to fish a “slop hog”. That’s just my opinion though, maybe I’m all wet. Will probably hit Menomin again tomorrow & hopefully Pepin on friday. Will post those reports as well.

Don Hanson

Hey guys give me a shout, I have open seats Friday & Sat.
    Thanks

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Aw Pooo……….p!! Sunday is all I have open in the immediate future……..unless I were to do a Sat. morning from sun up to about……..10-10:30am.

Don, throw me a pm if this is possible and thanks a TON for offering a seat in your boat!!!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

It looks like I’m doing overtime this weekend again. I guess there are worse things. I heard from a reliable source that the mongo gills are biting also. Just a worm,split shot,and 4 to 6 feet of water is the ticket. Cast towards shore and bring it back real slow. Steve

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Leiny:

Sorry, I got lost there for a while. My wife’s brother died of a heart attack last Monday and then her mother fell and ended up passing away yesterday. Sounds like you might not have gotten up last week. Did you???

Mark

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I’m real sorry to here of you and your wifes loss Mark. I posted to you on the link about Tainter I think and we don’t go up to the Eagle River area untill July. Maybe we can touch base and do a little fishing. Send me a pm if your going to be around up that way about the 19th. I’ll watch for a pm next month and remember that even in the roughest of times it’s family and friends and the big man above that will get you through it. Steve

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Sorry to hear that Mark. Our prayers to you and the family.

I have been fishing the UP boundary waters for Bass lately and doing well. Taking a Pastor flyrodding for bass and pike tomorrow, should be fun. I’m using my 9’6″ 8 wt steelhead rod with a WF 8 Rocket taper and some hair bugs and Dahlbergs. I’ll post a report if we are successful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.