Memorial Weekend Plans

• TMF89

Since the only other active thread right now has us having hissy fits at each other, maybe we can start a more positive one. Who all is going to be up there this weekend? We’ll be up Sunday night and Monday out of Malmo, probably dragging leeches around the 10-20′ breaklines an the East side. I really want to get started running bouncers out on the flats, but unfortunately it’s probably a bit early for that.

mojogunter

Fyi if you don’t have a roller trailer skip the malmo public access. I have a bunk trailer and had to have the trailer backed in and slam on the brakes a half dozen times to get the boat off the trailer. Back on wasn’t fun either. Pay at a resort if you have a bunk

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Since the only other active thread right now has us having hissy fits at each other, maybe we can start a more positive one. Who all is going to be up there this weekend?

I stepped out long before the fits got hissy. I can usually tell when a thread starts spinning. neutral

I will be heading up tomorrow morning to my hideaway on the NW side. Not sure whether I’ll get my boat out yet or not. Might just putz around and maybe do some needed outside painting if the fish fly’s (midges) haven’t hatched yet. Once they unleash, you’re pretty much stuck inside. sad

Greg Perz

Fished from 12:00 to 6:00 yesterday and got 10 fish (5 of them were over 27”). It wasn’t fast and furious but the best bite was in 25-28 fow with a leech behind a blue perch blade.

We will be headed back up for the afternoon/evening bite today.

Tight lines!

Attachments:
    1. 4B1A1A87-15DF-41CB-8FF8-C705F66A81B8.jpeg

2. 937DB16C-A1F3-4750-9ACC-6BB577CCC9A0.jpeg

3. CC776BF9-F3F5-4AE9-ABE9-D0A943E7B60F.jpeg

Greg Perz

Here are the other two…

And yeah, my wife out fished my dad and I combined.

Attachments:
    1. 32F263A3-C911-48D4-923D-36E1000A1E2D.jpeg

2. 6035389F-6288-4B88-A567-AC989E9021C7.jpeg

TMF89

Nice fish Greg! And the women always seem to manage to outfish us! I’ve got the boat all packed, just waiting on my buddy to finish up a grad party. If you don’t mind my asking, were you finding em deep off the main break, or are they already out running around the flats? Thanks for any info!

Greg Perz

At the bottom of the breaks. We focused on the outside edge of 3 mile and then made a run over to Garrison reef. Fishing was better at 3 mile.

Good luck.

TMF89

Appreciate it! The tentative plan was to fish the rocks and reefs on the east side in 10-20′, but you’re the second guy I’ve heard saying they’re biting out deep. A guy on Facebook was saying they even did well out on the flats a night or two ago.

Sharon
    SE Metro

It’s too hot out. I’m staying indoors this weekend and binge watching Supernatural (one of my favorite TV shows on Netflix)!). I’d love to get outside and do some fishing but I’m afraid I’d fall over and then melt.

Greg Perz

Great evening on the water

Attachments:
    1. 9DBFCFBD-B604-4B2B-BD49-22CD63B6DA12.jpeg

2. 17EB2604-3B6C-486F-9605-7A1A3408E24B.jpeg

3. AC84E4CF-97D3-4976-9B04-6BF6992DDAB1.jpeg

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Looks like u got the lake to yourselves peace

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Agreed Sharon. Not knocking anybody, obviously, but what in the world is with the skinny fish out there? Every pic I’ve seen(and I’ve seen a lot) of ML walleyes caught this year has been really skinny fish.

jonesry09

Was out there this morning and it was slow. Was only able to put 2 in the boat between 7-12. Still was a nice day on the water once that storm passed by (barely misses us).

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

but you’re the second guy I’ve heard saying they’re biting out deep. A guy on Facebook was saying they even did well out on the flats a night or two ago.

Interesting…from my vantage point all the boats were in closer. I did not see any boats out on the flats at all which kind of surprised me nobody was out there. Then again there were a ton of bass boats out. I did not get my boat out but did catch a nice smallmouth of the dock.

Every pic I’ve seen(and I’ve seen a lot) of ML walleyes caught this year has been really skinny fish.

They are like that every year…post spawn. Actually a few of Greg’s photos they do look fairly healthy.

Looks like u got the lake to yourselves peace

It’s a big lake. I saw a ton of boats out Saturday and Sunday. Most I’ve seen in the last few years. But then again…a lot of bass boats.

Greg Perz

We focused on the outside edge of 3 mile and there were a couple boats that were out further that us, but may many. Headed back up there today with a buddy.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The smallie bite was on fire Saturday, but a little slower on Sunday. Man there were a ton of bass fisherman out there this weekend. I think more than I have ever seen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Agreed Sharon. Not knocking anybody, obviously, but what in the world is with the skinny fish out there? Every pic I’ve seen(and I’ve seen a lot) of ML walleyes caught this year has been really skinny fish.

It probably has something to do with the fact that the spawn happened not long ago and the fact that there may be a lack of forage. That’s not anything new, the walleyes have been on the skinny side for years now.

The smallie bite was on fire Saturday, but a little slower on Sunday. Man there were a ton of <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass fisherman out there this weekend. I think more than I have ever seen.

Ya unfortunately that’s the downside of having the #1 ranked bass fishery in the country – lots of pressure. This is the time of year when they are probably the easiest to catch too, generally pre-spawn stage up in and around the shallows.

TMF89

It was pretty tough for us, overall. A couple spots produced 90% of our fish. We caught 20-25 in a couple hours bobber fishing a reef on Sunday night, but had to work hard for them yesterday. We hit 15-18′ humps, some rocks on the east side, 3 Mile Reef (where most of the guys were fishing for bass), the flats (where we did mark plenty of fish but most weren’t interested in biting), and finally found em reliably on the bottom of the north shore break. I only caught one eye until about 2-3pm! I don’t know if the heat wave plus the storms moving through turned them off a bit, or if I’m just not as good an angler as I thought, lol! Can’t complain too much since it would have still been a “good” day on most lakes, with around two dozen the night before, and scrounging up a couple dozen on Monday (with the vast majority being on the north shore), but it definitely wasn’t as hot and heavy as other reports I’ve been seeing! We dragged Lindys and leeches mostly, I tried shiners for a bit, as well as a couple spinners. Everything came on the Lindys w/leeches.

jonesry09

We focused on the outside edge of 3 mile and there were a couple boats that were out further that us, but may many. Headed back up there today with a buddy.

We worked 3 mile over pretty hard with a lot of bass fisherman aroundI noticed. Didn’t produce a whole lot to be honest. The week before on the north shore was much more productive.

Wonder how long it will be until the “flat” bite is on…?

Greg Perz

Got 5 on 3 mile before being blown off. Got the boat on the trailer just before the storm hit.

Attachments:
    1. F18B8F91-4789-4FB1-9A0B-0D362E982376.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

It was pretty tough for us, overall. A couple spots produced 90% of our fish. We caught 20-25 in a couple hours bobber fishing a reef on Sunday night

How many do you get when you have a good day…a couple hundred? shock

TMF89

Well we did manage to break 100 last year up there! And I’m probably spoiled from all the Canada trips I do, lol. But I guess I could clarify a bit, the first night was good, but the second day (Monday) was a grind, I only caught one fish until 2-3pm (and we ran all over the lake trying to find a good bite), then we found them on the bottom of the north shore break and probably caught 15-20 in a couple hours. Basically if it wasn’t for that first night and the last spot on Monday, it would have been a pretty rough trip.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

We were up fishing smallies over the weekend which were on fire as mentioned. I had never seen as many bass boats as I did Sunday. A few nice northerns found their way into our boat.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_08921.jpg

2. IMG_0883.jpg

3. IMG_0885.jpg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.