MEGA Live worth it with the rebate?

• mnfisherman18

I want to make the jump into live imaging and currently run a Helix 7 & 10 at the console. It looks like I could get into MEGA live for a $1000 transducer + pole mount cost. Seems pretty straight forward along with being cost effective, but basically all the feedback I have seen on MEGA live is it miles behind Garmin, especially the LVS 34.

So my question for the MEGA live guys out there: Are you happy with the product? Do you feel the useful range and target separation between fish/bottom is adequate? Would you buy it again?

I am on the fence because MEGA is easily the cheapest way for me to jump into live imaging, but frankly I have not been all that impressed with the review videos and actual footage of the product in action. I don’t want to buy it and be wishing I waited for a gen 2 transducer (maybe coming soon?) or switched over to Garmin.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The answer may be how important is it to you? Do you want it because it’s the latest & greatest? Because you can’t catch a fish without it? Your buddy has it and you need it?

Before the green box people lined up tree’s houses & points and found fish. Then they got to see the bottom contour. Then they got to see whats out to the side that they are going past. Now you get to see whats under you, to the side of you, all around you.

So do you fish for relaxation and the challenge or to have the pressure to fill the boat with all that the electronics are showing you?

Our grandfathers got along with a stick & string and enjoyed the HOBBY. If you need to spends thousands to enjoy the HOBBY feel free to do so, just understand in a few years you will be shelling out thousands again for your HOBBY to get the latest & greatest.

Buy Garmin, the top of the line and don’t look back.

tim hurley

I would be fine with a green box, if everyone had just a green box-fish would be easier to find because their would be more fish-right now with a flasher you are in a gun fight with a knife.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

I made the jump, yes it is worth it in my opinion. I run a 7 and a 9 with the mega on the 9. The latest updates for the Helix AND the Mega have brought it up to bring equal to anything out there. I fish with 2 different guys who run the Garmins and they both agree. Again my opinion, just make sure you update the head and the Mega to the latest releases of you buy it. By the way, I’m 63 and the updates were pretty easy…. even for me!

JoeMX1825
    MN

The huge rebate likely means a new version is coming soon… 1st to 2nd generation jumps are typically the biggest

mnfisherman18

I appreciate all the feedback. I would be happy to go back to the tech of 25 years ago if everyone else did. We used to pile up walleyes lining up cabins and marker buoys on spots not shown on the paper maps. Those spots are overrun now and the tactics we used no longer yield the same results.

Hydro – glad to see some positive feedback on live, and hope you continue to enjoy it!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

My first year with MegaLive using Helix 12 Gen 3, mine had been great right out of the box. I can see my 1/16 ounce Crappie jig out about 42-45 feet. I will say I do not use my Mega 360 as much, use SI to find structure and fish drop a waypoint swing around. Before I would drop my 360 now I drop my MegaLive and pan the area much more precise of what is actually there. Down mode for Perch and Eyes in deeper water the cats meow. Open water schools the only way to fish them and stay with them.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ve been pretty happy with mine. Installed the latest update, but haven’t been able to put it to use since. I’ve heard good things though.

FryDog62

Mega live could work fine for you… especially if you haven’t had FFS before. But it is Gen1 where Livescope+ is Gen3. Is it that much better?

A couple Bass Elites have lost or dropped the H’bird sponsorship to change out MegaLive on their boats and go back to Livescope. But they’re pros, and need any extra edge to compete.

My personal perspective is that I’m far from pro. I’m also not on the water every day or as good at interpreting what I see on screen either. I need whatever extra help I can get.

So for me, the extra money for Gen3 over Gen1 makes sense. I want the extra clarity and target separation because I may not see those subtleties like your typical pro might.

But I still say if you’re a first time FFS user, MegaLive may work well for you and at least get you introduced into the technology for a better price.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I want to make the jump into live imaging and currently run a Helix 7 & 10 at the console. It looks like I could get into MEGA live for a $1000 transducer + pole mount cost. Seems pretty straight forward along with being cost effective, but basically all the feedback I have seen on MEGA live is it miles behind Garmin, especially the LVS 34.

So my question for the MEGA live guys out there: Are you happy with the product? Do you feel the useful range and target separation between fish/bottom is adequate? Would you buy it again?

I am on the fence because MEGA is easily the cheapest way for me to jump into live imaging, but frankly I have not been all that impressed with the review videos and actual footage of the product in action. I don’t want to buy it and be wishing I waited for a gen 2 transducer (maybe coming soon?) or switched over to Garmin.

Where are you finding this rebate? Johnson was running a $500 rebate, expired and a $1000 rebate when comboed with an appropriate Helix/Solix(maybe?) Unit.

mnfisherman18

Appreciate the feedback Frydog, I think your thoughts are right on.

Tillr – I was at Thorne the other day and they said HB was going to run the $500 transducer rebate again in late November. I see there is no rebate active now, so if they do not restore it that will just push me further towards Garmin or waiting for a Gen2.

After talking to a few different retailers it sounds like the HB stuff is sitting on the shelf far longer than Garmin, so I would be surprised if they didn’t need to run more promotions just get product moving out the door.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.