MEGA 360 FOR ICE

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I just got done wiring it all up and mounting a 9″ helix on a shuttle. All in all I’d say it was a super straightforward “plug and play” project. I’m really excited to see if this technology does for me what side imaging has done on open water.

The plan is to hit the ice with it tomorrow!

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201128_164631246.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The head unit is receiving sonar from the 360 unit. CHECK! I think it’s ready to roll!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20201128_105236.jpg

niteryder

What does something like this run for the whole setup?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

$1300 from Reed’s, assuming you already have a compatible head unit.

https://bit.ly/3kODTtK

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20201128-110739.png

buku

Thanks for posting this James. I set mine up last night with plans to take it to Red on Thursday. I have been searching the internet for more info, but have not found anything useful. Does the helix go into Ice or Open Water mode? It does not give me an option for the 360 transducer in Ice mode. If you wouldn’t mind posting an update when you use it, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for posting this James. I set mine up last night with plans to take it to Red on Thursday. I have been searching the internet for more info, but have not found anything useful. Does the helix go into Ice or Open Water mode? It does not give me an option for the 360 transducer in Ice mode. If you wouldn’t mind posting an update when you use it, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that I’ve got about 20 minutes of experience with this setup so far but based on my digging around in the menus it looks like the mega 360 option is only available in open water mode.

I will provide an update after I get some on the ice time with it. There’s not much more I can learn about it pushing buttons in my living room. Time to get it on the ice!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Any word from Humminbird for their version of live scope? Must be a tight patent?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Any word from Humminbird for their version of live scope? Must be a tight patent?

I’m not familiar with the patent situation but I know humminbird has announced they will have a live imaging product coming out in March.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Good deal, thank you.

mojo

I’m definitely in for updates on this.
    It’s kind of a pain to switch transducers once the head unit is mounted on a shuttle, does it come with an extension for the transducer port input?
    Something like a 12″ lead would be enough so that there would be easy access to plugging/unplugging multiple transducers. Would be great if they could make an extension with a splitter-type adapter so both transducers could be plugged in at the same time, and the user would just toggle between them using the menu. The Ice menu would have to be updated to allow use of the SI type transducers, but I believe a simple update could achieve that.
    SI would make finding the spot on the spot much quicker and would allow a person to keep track of fish movements in real time. Very cool.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m definitely in for updates on this.
    It’s kind of a pain to switch transducers once the head unit is mounted on a shuttle, does it come with an extension for the transducer port input?
    Something like a 12″ lead would be enough so that there would be easy access to plugging/unplugging multiple transducers. Would be great if they could make an extension with a splitter-type adapter so both transducers could be plugged in at the same time, and the user would just toggle between them using the menu.

Yes to both. The shuttle I used has the 7-pin transducer port built right into the base. A short pigtail connects the base to the head unit with that pigtail routing under the base to keep all the wires organized.

See pic.

Attachments:
    1. 16065921624228749588830536572418.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you want to run traditional 2D sonar and the mega 360 transducer this is the pigtail you need.

Attachments:
    1. 16065922887753276974323098544193.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This kit from Reeds includes the Humminbird ICE PTC 740185-1NB shuttle I used in my build. It is different than the shuttle used in the ICE Helix unit.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This kit from Reeds includes the Humminbird ICE PTC 740185-1NB shuttle I used in my build. It is different than the shuttle used in the ICE Helix unit.

I had a chance to do some more playing around tonight and found a couple things that seem worthy of sharing.

I installed the 7-pin transducer Y-cable (Part #720107-1) and plugged in the ice transducer hopping to get a 2D sonar signal split screen with MEGA 360.

Everything connected without a hitch. MEGA 360 worked but no 2D.

After a little digging I found that once I selected the transducer HW : MEGA 360 the 2D transducer immediately started to ping. Yippeeee. Progress.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201129_032910803.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m able to split screen 2D + MEGA 360 in open water mode as one would expect. At this point I haven’t figured out how to get ice mode sonar displays and functionality without switching into ice mode. Not a huge surprise.

This thing is going to be fun out on the ice! One thing I do know is I need to refine my cable routing and organization as the cables I’m using were intended for rigging a boat so they’re a bit longer than needed. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201129_033109314-1.jpg

BrianF

James, what are you using as a power source for that M360?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

So here is a question I have. All this tech is fun and all with locating pods of suspended fish off to the sides. Lets say you have panfish 20 feet off to the side and you go drill holes on top of them. Are these fish actually going to stay in that spot with all the commotion going on at the surface? Doubt it. I bet if you drilled a dozen holes and hopped around, you would have a better chance. sorry but I am a debby downer on the panoptix/360 stuff. fish spook way too easy unless you fish untouched body’s of water if there is such a thing.

James, I got to try out my original ducer this winter and see what happens. I bet I will find it to be useful. only year 2 on the Helix but the options are looking awesome!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

If you know which way they’re moving, you can drill in front of them , pick off a few and keep moving

Joel W Taylor

I fished with a guy last year that had a panoptic. He was able to tell someone the direction and distance to drill holes to get fish he could see. If they missed, he could tell them by how much. Once they were in the right spot he could watch the fish get caught. It was like cheating.

I’m sure it doesn’t always work and fish spook, but it was an awesome tool.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, what are you using as a power source for that M360?

NORSK 15AMP Lithium.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Are these fish actually going to stay in that spot with all the commotion going on at the surface?

Fair question. Time will tell if these systems bring value or not. It either works or it doesn’t.

case1803

James, it’s been 2 weeks… Did you get out and try the 360? Thought, opinions, pointers??? I’d like more info, thanks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, it’s been 2 weeks… Did you get out and try the 360? Thought, opinions, pointers??? I’d like more info, thanks.

I’d go so far to say it’s stupid good. peace

I’m out on the Missouri River right now chasing crappies on a shallow backwater lake. The fish out here are notoriously difficult to pin down giving this body of water is shallow and utterly featureless. Essentially the fish just roam and never sits still for long. I took the shot with my cell phone about 10 minutes ago right before sunrise. Pretty sure I know where to drop the hub. smash

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201214_135844540.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ll share more tonight when I get off the water. Right now it’s hammer time!

olas88

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>case1803 wrote:</div>

I’d go so far to say it’s stupid good. peace

I’m out on the Missouri River right now chasing crappies on a shallow backwater lake. The fish out here are notoriously difficult to pin down giving this body of water is shallow and utterly featureless. Essentially the fish just roam and never sits still for long. I took the shot with my cell phone about 10 minutes ago right before sunrise. Pretty sure I know where to drop the hub. smash

Whoa there are loaded in there!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

They’re the right ones!

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201214_160356890.MP_.jpg

olas88

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>olas88 wrote:</div>

They’re the right ones!

That is a hog!! Awesome catching them on a Rippin Rap )

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Dang…looking forward to Sunday’s show! shock

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

P.S. you forgot to leave the GPS coordinates on that screenshot. mrgreen

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We took a bit of a detour on our way home from the crappie shoot yesterday. We’re packing up and heading to a perch slough just off of 94 to see if we can’t get in on a birch bite using the 360. When I get back to the office I’ll share screen captures and maybe even a little video from the 360 from both locations.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.