Med with fast tip

• Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Advantages and best uses for a medium rod with a fast tip?

LabDaddy1

Walleye(or other medium-caliber fish) jigging rod.

Brittman

Walleyes is what I would use that rod designation for. I have St Croix, TUCR, Fenwick, Limit Creek, and some economy rods that are all M or ML. I bobber the economy rods (except for TUCR which is a deadstick rod) and use my newer middle priced rods for jigging lures.

Plenty of readers on this site with a lot more experience on walleyes than me can share more specifics on specific rods. Good Luck.

Dan Baker

That’s pretty much the bread and butter set up for most game fish through the ice, perfect for spoons and minnow profile baits. Walleye of course, but also perch, pike (for the most part), bass, tullibe, eelpout, etc.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

There is no set ratting for rod action and power. Each manufacture can set their own. A fast tip form one company might be an extra fast for another. The main this is you like how the rod feels, how it works your bait, and fights the fish when you get one. In general I would use something with a fast tip for jigging.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

That’s what I’m asking. The only rods I have with a fast tip I use for a dead stick and an HT for Itty bitty baits for pan fish. The tip can’t be that whippy.. Do you really get a good feel with a fast tip?

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Since the fast tip is stiffer than moderate or slow action tip, it performs very well for jigging. I prefer a ML Xfast for jigging. I use a Medium fast tip for bottom bouncers and blade baits etc. I assume you are talking long rods?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I assume you are talking long rods?

We are in the ice fishing category so short rods my bet. The fast tip will jig just fine. Yes use it for jigging walleye spoons bud. waytogo

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That’s what I’m asking. The only rods I have with a fast tip I use for a dead stick and an HT for Itty bitty baits for pan fish. The tip can’t be that whippy.. Do you really get a good feel with a fast tip?

Yes it can, depending on the blank and taper. Power noodles are glass blanks that have a very light tip that jumps into a heavy back bone rather quickly. I shaped carbon blanks to have the same taper for 1/16th oz spoons and the jig control is phenomenal. Every manufacture is different and the more changes in the taper slope a blank has. The more it cost to make. That is why most lessor expensive rods only have a single flat tapper slanting to the tip. That tapper may flatten out half ways down the blank into the handle. I am sure when you hook into even a small fish on that HT you can feel the blank flex right through the handle? That is because there is not enough backbone. I feel most rods don’t have enough backbone.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

According to HT it is a LT MED made for dead sticking. The back bone starts 4-5″ back from the tip. It has handled some nice bassand a couple Northern pretty easily. Polar Lite 27″ light medium.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Medium power and fast tip. Jack of all anything middle of the road rod for a variety of things.

efrommung
    Green Bay, WI

I don’t have a medium with a fast tip, but I have an Elliot Evolution 44L with a fast tip and it is my absolute
    favorite small spoon rod for perch and Winnebago sized walleye.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.