Marine Radio/antenna mounting on a MX 2025

• francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Looking for ideas of how/where to mount a Marine radio and Antenna on a MX 2025. Pictures would be great!

TIA.

FDR

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Below and just to the right of the steering wheel is where mine is mounted.
    Don’t get to close to the starboard side of the boat though. If you do you may not be able to plug anything into the accessory power source. (cigarette style power outlet)
    I just moved mine a few inches further away from the starboard side of the boat for that very reason.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Install a flush mount female cable connector and ram ball where you want the antenna and a male connector about a foot from the antenna. This way you can remove the antenna and put it away while not in use.

Have not done it yet but it sounds good….

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Install a flush mount female cable connector and ram ball where you want the antenna and a male connector about a foot from the antenna. This way you can remove the antenna and put it away while not in use.

Kroger,

With this idea, do you plan on keeping the antenna in a rod locker?

FDR

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Joel,

What size antenna dod you go with and where did you mount it?

Thanks,

FDR

kroger3
    blaine mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kroger3 wrote:</div>

Kroger,

With this idea, do you plan on keeping the antenna in a rod locker?

FDR

Yes. That is pretty much the last item to install in my new boat and I am at a toss up of going that route or getting rid of my radio and antenna and just going to a handheld unit.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Yes. That is pretty much the last item to install in my new boat and I am at a toss up of going that route or getting rid of my radio and antenna and just going to a handheld unit.
    [/quote]

I recommend NOT going with a handheld unit. In my experience, if you are on a water body that requires a marine radio, hand held units range is poor. Somewhat useless except for weather reports.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I recommend NOT going with a handheld unit. In my experience, if you are on a water body that requires a marine radio, hand held units range is poor. Somewhat useless except for weather reports.
    [/quote]
    x2 And get a quality 8 ft antenna with 6db gain for better range.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Joel,

What size antenna dod you go with and where did you mount it?

Thanks,

FDR

I’ll get a picture of what I have and did on my 2025 tonight or tomorrow morning and post it here.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’d recommend mounting on starboard side forward of the console or where best to get wires to the radio assuming the radio is mounted at the console.
    The other consideration is what side of the boat you usually climb in and out of with boat on the trailer to load it, clean it etc. It’s best not to have it on the side where you’ll be climbing over it all the time.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I’d recommend mounting on starboard side forward of the console or where best to get wires to the radio assuming the radio is mounted at the console.
    The other consideration is what side of the boat you usually climb in and out of with boat on the trailer to load it, clean it etc. It’s best not to have it on the side where you’ll be climbing over it all the time.

My external GPS puck is just in front of the drivers console on the gunnel. How close can the puck and antenna be without having any issues?

FDR

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hjnacht wrote:</div>

My external GPS puck is just in front of the drivers console on the gunnel. How close can the puck and antenna be without having any issues?

FDR

4 feet is the standard recommendation on Lowrance GPS antennas.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

What’s the location have to do with the cig lighter power source? Does the cig lighter power source affect the radio/antenna signal, or does the antenna affect the accessory power?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

What’s the location have to do with the cig lighter power source? Does the cig lighter power source affect the radio/antenna signal, or does the antenna affect the accessory power?

If you mount the radio to close, you won’t be able to get accessories in or out of the cigarette lighter/power source.
    I moved my VHF radio over 3″ just the other week for this reason.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Its a little hard to see but the handheld microphone is hanging on the starboard side of the boat. The cigarette light/power source is right behind the handheld mic.
    2nd pictures shows the mounting SBC did for me on the VHF radio antenna.
    I always keep a piece of 3″ diameter soft foam pad stuck on the tip of the antenna to keep it from banging against the drivers side windshield. Don’t have a picture of that but it does work very well, is easy to do and doesn’t blow off in the wind.

Attachments:
    1. VHF-Radio-Antenna.jpg

2. VHF-Radio.jpg

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

kroger, doesn’t look like you’ve done it yet, but do you have a photo of the RAM and quick disconnects? This is a good idea to be able to remove the antenna entirely if performance of the antenna is not affected. Joel, your installation looks clean. Does your antenna’s location affect fishing in the bow when it’s raised? Primarily pitching?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Joel,

Thanks for the pictures! Unfortunately I cannot mount my Antenna in the same place as my external GPS puck is already mounted in that spot. I will have to keep brain storming.

FDR

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Does your antenna’s location affect fishing in the bow when it’s raised? Primarily pitching?

It probably would but I’ve never found that I use the antenna or the radio when pitching.
    For the most part, we only use the VHF radio while out on Lake Michigan.

kroger3
    blaine mn

kroger, doesn’t look like you’ve done it yet, but do you have a photo of the RAM and quick disconnects? This is a good idea to be able to remove the antenna entirely if performance of the antenna is not affected. Joel, your installation looks clean. Does your antenna’s location affect fishing in the bow when it’s raised? Primarily pitching?

I have not done it yet but the RAM antenna mount is just a standard mount that RAM sells and after a couple google searches there is a lot of different connectors on the market to make it work.

Like I said I am in a toss up on doing this or a handheld. 99% of the time I just use a radio for tournament takeoffs so for the most part I need one to work with in a couple 100 yards.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Bringing this to the top as I have yet to add this to my boat. With a trip to Erie planned for April, this has pushed its way to the top of the priority list. Has anyone come up with any other good options?

TIA,

FDR

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.