Marathon tires

• chappy
    Hastings, MN

They are no longer making these tires. They have changed them out with The Goodyear Endurance. Supposed to be a better tire. Found this out last weekend when I blew a tire on the causeway out to Grahams island on Devils Lake. Put the spare on and headed for home Sunday, Blew the spare tire out. Good think I had a friend along who brought his boat along so I could use his spare. At $175 a tire…Walleyes from Devils were very expensive this year!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Chappy, what is/was the date code on those Marathon’s? The Endurance has been out for a few years now.

HRG

chappy
    Hastings, MN

IDK…I bought the boat last fall. Not something I generally check when buying. My guess is the spare was unused and over 10. Was told the stem rotted out.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Chappy, I used to run Marathons like many here on IDO over the years. Since they are no longer available I’ve had very good luck with my Towmax Power Kings. Would get them again.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The Endurance is not as good as the Marathon was but still thought to be the best of what is available. Towmax seem serviceable. I will be sticking with my Goodyears when I need a new set. Still have a set of Marathons on it now. As for a rotted valve stem, that is not the tires fault by any means, try switching out to the high pressure metal stems is what run.

Adam Steffes

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the marathon is better than the endurance. The endurance was a complete re-do on the marathon after goodyear practically put their trailer business under due to poor quality, accidents, blowouts, etc. Are you sure you are talking about the marathon by goodyear?!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

The ORIGINAL Marathons were great tires. When GY started building them out of the US is when the quality went in the crapper.
    Sold lots of the Towmax trailer tires before I retired. Never had a bad one.
    I was always told trailer tires are supposed to be replaced every 5 years. I used to recommend replacement every 6 years. Checking/maintaining the air pressure routinely is very important.

Adam Steffes

My research must have been regarding the “made in china” version as I have come across many reports from trailer owners saying they had trouble with marathon tires. I don’t know the specifics behind what makes some good or some bad, I just know I don’t want one to explode on me on the interstate and damage the trailer or hurt someone.

B-man

Chappy, what is/was the date code on those Marathon’s? The Endurance has been out for a few years now.

HRG

Yep, this is very important.

Old tires are bad, and often overlooked.

When I bought my big boat a few years ago it had brand new (looking) American made Goodyear Marathons, that were 15 years old.

ALL FIVE tires blew belts in the first few months of me owning it (the tires didn’t blow because I caught them in time). The previous owner trailered very little and for short lower speed trips.

Nothing to do with the brand, just the age.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Yeah…The treads looked and still do look very good. Idon’t know the age, But you can damn sure I’m gonna check the rest of them. -) The 1st 1 that blew, Blew a hole in the side wall…:-(

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Trailer tires are tricky because they usually look very new even when they are 10+ years old. You can look at the sidewall and tell the month and year they were made. On a couple boats I have purchased they have been 15 years old. I just replaced some on my boat with Maxxis and got them at discount tire. They price matched the best price I could find online.

Attachments:
    1. Capture.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the marathon is better than the endurance. The endurance was a complete re-do on the marathon after goodyear practically put their trailer business under due to poor quality, accidents, blowouts, etc. Are you sure you are talking about the marathon by goodyear?!

Yes I worked at an independent goodyear location for a long time and the American made Marathons were great. They started having them made overseas and the quality went down. At the time Goodyear claimed it was an issue with people driving to fast with them as ST or trailer tires were designed to only go 55 mph. They actually sent out a service bulletin recommending exceeding the max pressure to keep heat down. All I know is from people I have talked to at Goodyear is the Endurance is a good tire, but the original Marathon was better.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

When a tires blows on a travel trailer many times it causes lots of damage $$. So there are many forums out there that discuss trailer tires. I did my research and have been using the Maxxis tires also. They have been good.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

After what Goodyear did with their Marathon tires I won’t even consider Goodyear products for anything I own. Unless maybe I’m looking for a new Blimp.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Adam Steffes wrote:</div>

Yes I worked at an independent goodyear location for a long time and the American made Marathons were great. They started having them made overseas and the quality went down. At the time Goodyear claimed it was an issue with people driving to fast with them as ST or trailer tires were designed to only go 55 mph. They actually sent out a service bulletin recommending exceeding the max pressure to keep heat down. All I know is from people I have talked to at Goodyear is the Endurance is a good tire, but the original Marathon was better.

John, I’ve owned both and I disagree with your thought.
    My USA made Marathons were nice and durable.
    My Endurance carry a higher comfort level with me knowing that the higher load rating and speed rating at least gives me piece of mind.
    That said I have had no issuers with either branding. BUT I’ve traveled with higher confidence (and speed in South Dakota) with the Endurance.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Good to hear Denny. I am basing my opinion on the Endurance of what I have heard. I am still running my last set of Marathons, that should come off soon now that I think of it. Will be putting Endurance on for sure.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Good to hear Denny. I am basing my opinion on the Endurance of what I have heard. I am still running my last set of Marathons, that should come off soon now that I think of it. Will be putting Endurance on for sure.

John, Hope you don’t need 13’s, Goodyear has not yet made Endurance in 13″ wheel sizes,,,,

Although I ask them on a regular basis.

HRG

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

No I my trailer has 15’s on it. Just a thought maybe think about wheels next time and go to 14’s?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

No I my trailer has 15’s on it. Just a thought maybe think about wheels next time and go to 14’s?

Waiting for my new rig & trailer to show up, so I can determine if the 14’s will fit.

HRG

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

Waiting for my new rig & trailer to show up, so I can determine if the 14’s will fit.

HRG

waytogo toast

chappy
    Hastings, MN

If I’m reading it correct, 15th week of yr. 10…

Attachments:
    1. 20210721_173803-scaled.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Correct 15 week of 2010. Replace the others too bud!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Thats the plan! -)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.