making glitter jigs

• grizzly
    nebraska

anybody make there own glitter jigs? wondering how you do it. watched 1 video and they used epoxy. looking to make some 1/2 ounce and bigger round head jigs and wondering if anyone makes any and how?or a good website to just buy some with glitter. Thanks in advance

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ve used finger nail polish. Cheap and you can get ones with glitter.

grizzly
    nebraska

where is good place to buy them?

grizzly
    nebraska

did you do them on the plain unpainted jigs

Dave maze
    Isanti

I use glow paint then dip them in glitter (large flakes). As the glitter falls off with use, the glow paint shines thru more.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

where is good place to buy them?

I just bought them from Walmart and went with the cheapest ones they had.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I use my wife’s nail polish. You must use an UV light to cure the polish she has. Dries hard and I have a huge color selection.

grizzly
    nebraska

I use my wife’s nail polish. You must use an UV light to cure the polish she has. Dries hard and I have a huge color selection.

do you sell any or just for yourself?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:

do you sell any or just for yourself?

Sorry, I have not sold any tackle in years. I just don’t have the time to make it. I use my wife’s nail polish for my one off or replacements for myself. I do think the UV nail polish paint holds on better than the commercial stuff I used to use. But there is no way I would want to make +500 jigs with her nail polish. I do prime the jigs before adding paint and glitter. Luckly I still have bags of primed jigs ready for paint.

Edit: just looked up what they want for raw jig heads and happy I have a surplus. Looks like they almost tripled in price since last time I bought some.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Here’s how I’ve made some glitter jigs using powder paint and glitter.
    1. Heat the unpainted jigs in a small toaster oven.
    2. Grab the shank of hook with a nip nose pliers and dip it into the powder paint. Adjust the temperature of the oven so that the powder paint melts and sticks to the jig but not so hot that too much powder melts onto the jig. If you get too much paint on the jigs, the paint will drip-off during the post-painting curing step.
    3. After pulling the jig out the powder paint, immediately stick it in the glitter. Or you can dip your finger tips into the glitter and then squeeze the jig between your finger and thumb. The glitter will stick to your finger tips. The trick is to squeeze the glitter into / onto the paint before it cools too much and hardens. This embeds the glitter into the paint and locks it in place. Note: The color of the base paint will affect the resulting color of the glitter jig. I use purple paint for purple glitter and white paint for silver glitter. You can experiment to get differnt hues.
    4. After the jig cools brush any loose glitter off and remove any paint from the eye of the jigs. Do this before curing the jigs as it will be more difficult after the paint is cured.
    5. I hang the jigs on the racks in a regular oven and cure them at 300-350 F. fpr about 30 minutes. This does not harm or melt the glitter. Place some foil under the jigs in case any paint drips from the jigs.
    Note: It takes a bit of trial-and-error to find the right temperature for the toaster oven. The temperature will also depend a bit on the size of the jig, how fast you move it from the oven to the paint, and also the particular jar of paint. My powder paints seem to have some variability in their melting point and viscosity of the molten paint.
    I’ve purchased my glitter from Hobby Lobby or Micheals craft stores. There are different sized glitter particles. I prefer medium size particles.

grizzly
    nebraska

thanks guys

Plunker

I’ve tried making them a couple times. Order all the fancy glitter, epoxy, make an area to dry them. They never turn out as good as the ones I can buy and took way more time than I wanted, glitter wouldn’t stay on as well either. Came to conclusion it just wasn’t worth it at all.

grizzly
    nebraska

I’ve tried making them a couple times. Order all the fancy glitter, epoxy, make an area to dry them. They never turn out as good as the ones I can buy and took way more time than I wanted, glitter wouldn’t stay on as well either. Came to conclusion it just wasn’t worth it at all.

seems like the way it always turns out for me

eyeguy507
    SE MN

and here I thought I was the only dummy using nail polish! I been touching up jigs for years with my wife’s nail polish. Then I hit it with some clearcoat and they turn out pretty dang nice.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I have had good luck just spraying pre painted jigs with clearcoat and sprinkling glitter on them too. spray, add glitter, dry and second coat.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Pro Tec powder paint seems like a good option. Their “Disco” colors are glittery.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Pro Tec powder paint seems like a good option. Their “Disco” colors are glittery.

Absolutely great results with Disco Autumn

Cw

IF you are going powder paint route.

White or glow white base, heat back up, dip into color of your choice, heat up again, roll in glitter of choice, heat up again than dip into a clear coat to harden it some more.

TJs tackle is a great place to buy powder paint, the disco colors also get the job done as well. Just depends on how much glitter you want.

Fluid beds are also a great option for glitter imo.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.