Making Chilly "Tips" whats yours.

• 1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I have a few that helps me.

If you can’t use self canned tomatoes only use whole canned tomamatoes for more flavor. Trust me, you can take the extra time to quarter them.

Use chuck hamburger not to lean and not to greasy. Also when browning meat add spices at the end of browning to let the spices bloom for a while. Most important i feel.

Ad fresh peppers towards the end, I use serreno pepper, until aldenta chewy with a bit of snap.

Uses dried Chipotle peppers, not the canned stuff, you will get that smoked spicy flavor.

Add

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I like to use a 3# blend of equal parts ground beef, pork, and venison.
    Homemade fire roasted tomatoes or canned. I use several poblano peppers, white and red onion and like chili is meant to be it contains no beans. Served with some shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of fritos corn chips.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My differences from most recipes:

Chocolate
    Beer
    El Pato Sauce, yellow can
    1 hour in the smoker

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Ground beef and chopped up steak.sometimes I like a little smoky flavored bbq sauce in it.

Ripjiggen

Still wondering about the chocolate. Can you elaborate Dave.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I too add chocolate to almost all my chili variations

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Still wondering about the chocolate. Can you elaborate Dave.

This is what the internet says about the subject:

Adding chocolate to chili lends depth and richness to the spicy dish, making it both more savory and more satisfying.

abster71
    crawford county WI

JUST GOT DONE WITH A BATCH 1LB HAMBUGER, CUBED VENISON BACK STRAP AND THE OTHER NORMAL INGREDIENTS BUT I USE V8 HOT N SPICY

tim hurley

No mention of Bacon yet?

Add seasoning late, make your own chili powder or get good quality stuff.

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

burger, deer chunks bulk Italian sausage beer and a pinch of cinnamon

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gotta have Cumin in it.

Brad Dimond

Corn bread on the side, better yet corn bread with chilis in the batter.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

If the tomato taste has to much bite add a small amount of sugar and stir it in. Repeat until flavor is right. It doesn’t take a lot.

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

I love adding in Andouille Smoked Sausage. Gives it a great flavor.

Jeff Gilberg

Try some Johnsonville “chorizo”.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Cubed chuck roast. Chiles in adobo. Corn tortilla puree.

tornadochaser

Before you start mixing your chili ingredients in a pot, smoke the meat and diced peppers/onions for 2 hours. Smoke the beans for 45 minutes.
    then mix and cook per recipe.

– just won the company chili cook off last week by doing this.

I like the additions of beer, chocolate, and smoking the entire pot, but they add some intense flavor if not done correctly and that can put many people off.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Use bacon fried to crispy and use bacon grease to cook the meat. If doing steak, especially venison steak, sear it as hot and fast as possible to get a good crust and leave the middle uncooked. Once you get your chili where you want it, add the steak to finish cooking along with the crispy bacon that will rehydrate slightly. Oh and you can’t use too many onions.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Before you start mixing your chili ingredients in a pot, smoke the meat and diced peppers/onions for 2 hours. Smoke the beans for 45 minutes.

x2 The smoke flavor adds so much. Season the ground beef and pork for 24 hours before smoking. I don’t smoke the venison. Just sear it like BigWerm.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tornadochaser wrote:</div>

x2 The smoke flavor adds so much. Season the ground beef and pork for 24 hours before smoking. I don’t smoke the venison. Just sear it like BigWerm.

This is a variant of what I have been doing now, but I make the meat into a huge ball and put it above my cast iron pot on my kamado. Cook until the ball is roughly 140 then crumble it in the cast iron pot. This is what they call “Over the Top Chili”. I like to mix in Ground Chuck, Venison Burger and ground italian sausage. I usually use spicy italian sausage. Otherwise my ingredients are similar to what others do.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I like sweet with heat chili so I add brown suger and usually seranos. If it’s just me eating it, I will throw in something hotter.
    The brown sugar and chili powder just make an awesome base for it.

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

All this talk about Chili now I have to make some this week.

ThunderLund78

Ancho Chili Powder instead of standard Chili Powder. Fantastic flavor, Warm tongue-hugging heat that’s not overpowering.

I definitely need to try the smoking thing, though.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I add jimmy dean and refried beans!

CaptainMusky

Ancho Chili Powder instead of standard Chili Powder. Fantastic flavor, Warm tongue-hugging heat that’s not overpowering.

Very good tip on the Ancho! I use that in one of my wing sauces and it is a very nice flavor.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.