madison chain fishing report

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

since its so dead in here, I’ll try and liven things up with a report. Mendota continues to give up plenty of action for perch in the basin from 62-68 FOW. My best baits have been a fire tiger Hali spoon tipped with a single waxie and a pencil weight/rat finkie combo with spikes or waxies. I’ve been drilling no less than 30 holes a day and covering a lot of ground to keep up with the schools. This type of fishing is not condusive to sitting in the portable since they are constantly on the move. Its a lot of work, but definitely worth it. Fish are averaging 10″ with a few nicer fish mixed in. Walleye fishing has been half way decent and as usual strictly a dawn/dusk night bite(for me anyway) everything I have caught has come on tip ups with suckers. some nights a plain hook seem to get the best action other nights a red hook with a single glow bead does the trick. Not a lot of action, but worth it. Pike fishing has been good out there all season long for numbers but size has been down from prior years in my experience thus far. some 40″+ fish have been caught and released. Lots of low to mid 30s being caught on the flats and weedlines. Bluegill fishing has been spotty. The fish are big, but don’t expect a limit. Low light conditions have been best for catching the bulls. good luck to all that venture out and remember, if some of you guys want to make the trip, there is a float requirement for lakes Monona and Mendota for your snowmobile or ATV.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.