Machinists – Help!

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Guys,

Bone-headed me dropped a knob from my BIL’s boat into the lake this weekend. Unfortunately, it’s been discontinued and a replacement is impossible to find. Any machinists around here (prefereably in the Twin Cities) that could fabricate something? The photo is what I need, and I have a one that you could copy–I just need an additional (and maybe a spare, too).

I feel like a total dumbass and need to make this right.

Shoot me a PM. I’ll definitely pay a fair price!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200608-093418_Chrome.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Does the knob have to be metal? And what does it go too? I have seen on some of the car shows that I watch where they make a part with what looks like the equivalent of a 3D printer.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Metal would probably best, but plastic might work, at least for the knob. The tapered, conical part is what is killing me. It’s from the tower on a wakeboard boat.

Coletrain27

It wasn’t next to a dock or something where you could try finding it with a magnet was it?

David Blais

Can you buy the screw and threaded knob b separate

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It wasn’t next to a dock or something where you could try finding it with a magnet was it?

It was not. It was really windy, so we moved out onto the lake.

Can you buy the screw and threaded knob b separate

The problem is that the tapered, conical section slides into a conical hole that keeps everything tight. We jerry-rigged a bolt for the meantime, but isn’t a long-term solution.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Holy moly, Ralph. Looks like it came off the bleedin space shuttle. Knurled, o rings, tapers…

Would a possible design improvement include an eyelet and a keeper leash? If it happend once…

At my hunting farm I have a water pump that has a threaded plug for the priming port. After dropping the threaded plug (metric of course) off the bridge I got smart and put a keeper leash on an eyelet and attached it to the pump.

Grouse

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Ralph, where are you located? Everything but the knurl shouldn’t be a problem. Not sure if we even have a tool in the shop.

bigpike

If your struggling to get this built I can do it. I would need some basic dimensions and what material you want it built out of. Not near the cities but I can ship it….fyi

munchy
    NULL

What is it off of?

smackemup
    North Metro

May be able to help out

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Got someone. Thanks, guys!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.