Tiller guys, kicker on port or starboard side?

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

Dealer just called, my ProGuide just arrived from Lund today, it’s an 1825 tiller, 90 Yamaha with a T8 kicker and a Vector transom mount. Which side should I mount the kicker, port or starboard and why? 18 gallor aft livewell on the port side, storage locker on the starboard side. I have 2 questions, will the weight of the kicker and full livewell make the boat list noticeably during slow and fast operation? Has anyone experienced the tiller handle arm not being able to turn all the way left because it is inhibited by the kicker during tight turns? I’m fairly certain I’m going port but still would like to hear your answers and opinions, thanks

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

IMO sell the kicker. You wont need it with the VTS on your 90. I have a 75 and rarely use the trolling motor unless its dead calm. Just my 2 cents. My trolling motor is on the starboard side.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

First of all, congrats on the new boat!!!! That’s quite an upgrade from your avatar photo

2nd, I’m with RL on this, I ran a 115 and a 150 tiller last year and never had the want for a kicker. I have a 101 Vantage back there.(Starboard)Combined with a drift sock it’s the cats PJ’s.

Anyway, to your question, I had a 2025 Pro-V LE with a starboard mounted kicker and it would list at rest, trolling and a little on plane. I couldn’t have reached it from the seat if it was port so I didn’t care. I would say that you’ll want it on the starboard side just for ease of use…but will get some list with it there. MY .02

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Sell th ekicker and by a vantage electric. mount it to left of motor. I have a 90hp yammi it is fine by itself.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

For the most part it is personal preference, which hand do you fish with, what hand do you like to steer with? I have mine on the port side because I have a single counsel so I can easily see where I am going when I run the kicker. I would not be so quick to sell your T8 try it out for yourself and then decide. I have a T8 and love it and would not sell it for all the tea in china, and from what I hear they are not making them anymore. I do allot of trolling with mine for me there is no other way to go, it is also nice to have a back up motor in case something goes wrong with your main motor.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

X2 what Steve said…I also have the T8 and would not sell it for double it’s value. Electrics are great, but in rough conditions…give me the T8.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

X2 what Steve said…I also have the T8 and would not sell it for double it’s value. Electrics are great, but in rough conditions…give me the T8.

Are you and Steve wheel boat owners?

With a 90 hp tiller you wont need a T8 in rough water.

Calm water the electric, rough the 90.

He will get better boat control with his 90 being its positioned in the center of the transom and has way more power than the T8.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Hey drifter,

How about a review on your Pro Guide. Thinking of getting
    back into a tiller and the 1825 with a 90 Yamaha is on the
    list.

Thanks!!

ozarkeyes
    Arkansas

I’ll chime in too; the 90 with VTS will be plenty, especially weight wise for the transom, and you said a Vector TM,do you mean Vantage? which is what MK sells today not the Vector. I would sell the T-8, maybe consider a Vantage 101 lb thrust (36 volt) which will need 3 TM batteries, but would give out standing all day trolling even in rough weather for the 1825.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.