Pro-v or Explorer

• Lundforlife

Hi everybody, I’m looking to buy either a 18ft pro-v or 18ft explorer. Id prolly run a 150 verado on them. Is there actually a big difference in boats? The biggest thing, how’s the ride between them? Do u guys like Single or dual console for northern Wisconsin? Prolly fishing with 3 others. Thanks

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Kyle, welcome to IDO!

Are you looking to buy new or used?

If you are looking to buy new, it appears Lund will be bringing back an 18′ version of the Pro V in model year 2012.

If you are looking to buy used the last model year for the 1800 was 2009.

Sully

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

are you looking at tiller or console?

Lundforlife

Thank you jason and I am looking to buy new. I heard they’re bringing it back and I’m so pumped to hear that. I use to have a 16ft explorer but it was to small. Nice boat but I need more power.
    Dank I want the console but i don’t know if i want dual or single. Do u think the dual is big enough for 4 grown men..?

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

I have a 17′ Explorer single counsel and wish I had an 18′ dual or larger. I generally fish with 1 other person but with 3, it gets tight. Remember that each person fishing typically wants to use their gear, so that takes up alot of space as well. Plus, the passenger(s) have nothing to hide behind when it gets a little ugly out there with the single. Good luck in your search and welcome to IDO!

Lundforlife

Thank you Walleyewiz..what do u have pushing the your explorer? i think im going to get a single console bc how much more room you can get out of it!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote:

i think im going to get a single console bc how much more room you can get out of it!

Would go with a single for the room factor. With the amount of gear avg fisherman bring the lack of console will make up for the additional space. If you where going with a larger boat that might be a different case.

Lundforlife

Yes defiantly. I like the 18 ft bc it can handle pretty big waves but it can also get in shallow areas…but well see which boat.

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

I’ve got a 90HP 2-stroke and love it! Would like to upgrade to a 4-stroke at some point to gain some fuel economy but, money talks and the old ball and chain seems to think otherwise ! I’m not one for speed but with 3 guys and gear I’ll top out at 40 mph…

mojogunter

If you fish big water the Pro-V is a much stronger built boat and will hold up to just about anyting you throw at it. If you don’t normally fish on big water and just stay mostly in northern WI then I would say an Explorer would be the smarter buy. Both are nice boats.

mojogunter

I have run both a 4 stroke Yamaha 225, and an E-tec 225. For the most part the fuel economy is pretty much the same. Both are very efficient trolling, and both suck copious amounts of fuel wide open. If you have a carbureted engine now, then either a 2 or 4 stroke fuel injected motor will be more efficient that what you have now though. I just think that too many people think that 4 strokes are great on gas, but at least in my case that isn’t true. They are better than a carbureted 2 stroke engine, but compared to a direct injection 2 stoke it is pretty much the same.

Quote:

I’ve got a 90HP 2-stroke and love it! Would like to upgrade to a 4-stroke at some point to gain some fuel economy but, money talks and the old ball and chain seems to think otherwise ! I’m not one for speed but with 3 guys and gear I’ll top out at 40 mph…

Lundforlife

Mojohunter
    “the Pro V is a much stronger built boat”
    Define built much stronger.? i know its thicker aluminum but thats just going to slow me down. I dont plan on beaching it in canada on bolders the size of my suburban.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

The thicker hull will allow the boat to handle rough conditons and hold up better. The weight difference, although is not much different, is a factor on how the boat performs in waves. It is where the weight is located at in the boat that makes the difference between the two. I have lake tested and rigged many of these boats. They are both nice boats and as stated earlier if you plan on fishing hardcore in rough conditions the pro-v is the ticket. The storge options on the pro-v is very nice too. I fished many large scale tournaments and had plenty of room for all my gear in a double bubble 1800. Now this is compairing a 1800 to a 1800. Now compair a 1800 to a 1875, you really cannot. The 1875 is priced close to the explorer and will blow the explorer out of the water in every category in performance. The 1875 is fast, roomy and can take big waves. You can not ask for a better midsize boat. Lund was also talking about releasing a 1775 based off the same hull as the 1875. If you want new go with the 1875 Pro-v.

mojogunter

A Pro-V has as stated earlier has thicker aluminum, larger gauge stringers, and they may be spaced closer together than an explorer, but I am not sure about the spacing. I had a 2025 pro-v and pushed it very hard, and never had an issue with it. I was asked once flying across Mile Lacs if we were shooting a Lund comercial. Apparently my passenger thought we were going too fast in the 4′ rollers. That being said there is no comparision between my 2025 and my current Ranger 621. The ranger is so much smoother and dryer than my lund was. I would really like to see what the glass Pro-v ride is like, to see if it is the glass or the hull design that is the biggest factor in ride quality.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.