Wash Down problem

• fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I have a 2005 Pro-V. Had a new pump put in last year and hardly ever use the thing. It worked fine in June – turned it on yesterday and nothing. No pumping sound. Checked the fuse in the fuse panel and that looked ok. Any other thoughts?

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Sometimes fuses that “look ok” are actually bad.
    If you can take a continuity test on the fuse to confirm the condition, then check for power to the pump, should be 12v, if you have 12volts to the pump I would think your pump is bad.

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Also, check for any obstruction in the pump or hose that may hinder water flow.

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

Pump is probably locked up from lack of use.

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

Test it with one of your pumps that work.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Thanks for the replies. Awesome.

I’m hardly a mechanic, but here’s what I’ve done so far (don’t have coffee in you mouth and spit on your computer screen laughing . . .):
    Pulled and replaced fuses at the fuse panel but no go. Put the volt meter on the wire spade ends that would go to the switch (on the front/bow side of the console). No juice. I narrowed down the pump that is the washdown pump. No sure where to put/test a voltmeter. If it matters, the indicator light for the washdown isn’t coming on (not sure if it did before). All other pumps are working.

Sprayed water from the back end of the boat – water came out of the hose.

What should my next steps be?

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Well, if your fuse checks out OK you’ll need to check power at the switch, make sure you have 12volts to the switch, that switch is normally open when switched in off position, flip switch to on and you should have 12volts coming out of switch. (Make sure when you test with meter you are set to DC not AC).

Confirm you have power coming out of switch, if not, possible bad switch or broken wire somewhere, you can test wire for continuity to make sure wire is not broken or melted. If voltage is confirmed out of switch, check for 12 volts to the pump, once again possible broken wire will break the circut. If you have 12 volts to the pump I would assume pump is bad.

Hope that helps.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Those switches were famous for going bad, so I would do as noted in the above post.

turkeynate
    Iowa

I had the exact same thing happen to my wash down pump on my Pro V. After checking everything I narrowed it down to the pump. I’ve had a lot of people tell me they lock up because of lack of use. What I ended up doing was pulling the pump out and I bounced it on the floor of the boat while the switch was on. Basically I wanted to see if it was air locked. After I bounced it the motor kicked on. I think the worst thing about those pumps is the lack of use.

I reinstalled it and tested it again to make sure it worked. Once out on the water I used it for a while and everything was fine, but then it stopped working again. I found that if you switch it on and the water gets pressurized it tends to lock it up, but after hitting the pump with my hand a couple times with the nozzle open it would kick on and work fine.

Now every time out I run it to give it a workout. Hoping it will fix the issue, but I have a feeling it probably won’t.

Good luck!

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

They will get sand in the impellor now and then which will cause them to not work. A simple cleaning and they are off and running.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

I had the exact same thing happen to my wash down pump on my Pro V. After checking everything I narrowed it down to the pump. I’ve had a lot of people tell me they lock up because of lack of use. What I ended up doing was pulling the pump out and I bounced it on the floor of the boat while the switch was on. Basically I wanted to see if it was air locked. After I bounced it the motor kicked on. I think the worst thing about those pumps is the lack of use.

I reinstalled it and tested it again to make sure it worked. Once out on the water I used it for a while and everything was fine, but then it stopped working again. I found that if you switch it on and the water gets pressurized it tends to lock it up, but after hitting the pump with my hand a couple times with the nozzle open it would kick on and work fine.

Now every time out I run it to give it a workout. Hoping it will fix the issue, but I have a feeling it probably won’t.

Good luck!

Great information. Thanks. Question – when your pump was “locked,” did it still make a pumping noise? When I turn mine on, I have no pumping noise.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.