Lund doesn't track for cr@p.

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’ve been running a 2009 Lund Pro Guide 1725 for a number of years now. I hate it! It doesn’t track for crap. It gets blown around like a beach ball. I’m willing to listen to any ideas before I finally throw in the towel and go back to a glass boat. I’ll be debt free in just over 12 months so the idea of spending money on another boat hurts. I troll with the motor all the way down, I fill the back livewell. I’m fat and fish in the stern. I despise the idea of dragging trolling bags of buckets. Any ideas guys??

hnd

how are you fishing typically? gas trolling motor? bowmount?

my prov tracked not great and was a pain for some time until i upgraded to a terrova with autopilot. even when using my 10hp honda kicker as my main power, the autopilot does a fantastic job

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

You talking back-trolling or forwards? Might be helpful if you fill the livewell in the rear and sit in the front, or at least have someone sit up there if possible. My old man has an ’08 1675 Pro-Guide and I know that once the wind whips up if you have someone in the front it tracks much better.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I-pilot on Terrova 80#. I’m usually in the stern. Slow trolling working breaks and drop offs a rip rap. Live bait rigging, draggin jigs, pitching plastics.

I also have a Vantage 80# on back. I use main motor for trolling cranks.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you are going forward and using the bow mount, you need more weight in the front. Adding more weight to the back just pulls the TM and front of the hull out of the water and works against your goal. I would also try back trolling with a transom mount TM or the main engine, most of my buddies with tillers have the best control that way.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Fishing the river when the wind is crossing or opposite current is the worst. Very bad with crosswind while working breaks in lakes to.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Very bad with crosswind while working breaks in lakes to.

Sorry I’m no help. This is one of the primary reasons I own a glass boat.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wade Boardman wrote:</div>
    Very bad with crosswind while working breaks in lakes to.

Sorry I’m no help. This is one of the primary reasons I own a glass boat.

RIGHT! I miss my Skeeter

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Fishing the river when the wind is crossing or opposite current is the worst. Very bad with crosswind while working breaks in lakes to.

I think this is a problem for all aluminum boats on the river – especially if the wind and current are opposite directions.

Is it better when wind and current are the same? I just got rid on my Lund 1700 Pro Sport and it was tough to control in wind and current…..they are light on the front so the wind can wreak havoc.

Like others have said, get some weight up front – I had a couple of anchors in the front bow storage and that helped a bit. Do you have 2 livewells rear? You can kinda ballast with them by only using one on the opposite the boat wants to track.

My guess is this is as much about river conditions as it is about the boat – at least that’s my experience.

shockers
    Rochester

I fish the river almost exclusively. I’ve got an 09 1675 Pro Guide and must admit….compared to my old 16 foot Crestliner tiller, it’s light years better at tracking/boat control. So it’s probably relative. Mine/any aluminum boat won’t track as good as a glass boat. But…just what you can afford etc.

Also…just the other day launching/loading with all this high water and having to get ‘creative’ (meaning, a bit of scraping on rocks) made me glad I didn’t own a glass boat. So…there are trade-offs.

Weight up front does help some. But….only some.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I notice a similar result when I fish with my Father in his Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk. That thing really gets whipped around by the wind at times.

Deuces

I despise the idea of dragging trolling bags of buckets

If you don’t want to use the tools available one can only expect mediocre results.

Bags will pin the other side of the boat where it should be.

Are they pain in the A$$, absolutely. Worth it for the control, absolutely.

mojogunter

I had 2 ProV’s and they are terrible in the wind. I pretty much had to add wave wackers and back troll to have a chance to hold a line in windy conditions. Just the nature of the beast. They sit too high out of the water and are thrown around, as you now know.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just think……….next winter when the glass vs tin debate comes around you will have a definite opinion.

MnPat1

Don’t forget the wet rough ride while under power…..
    the biggest advantage a glass boat has over aluminum is while on the trolling motor. No comparison
    Throw in the towel

shady5

I just sold my ‘13 1875 Pro V and probably had 1500 hours trolling with my 112 lbs. Terrova. It tracked very well, so I’m not sure it’s about Lund’s design. Must be that it was a heavier boat than your tiller.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Don’t forget the wet rough ride while under power…..
    the biggest advantage a glass boat has over aluminum is while on the trolling motor. No comparison
    Throw in the towel

Ouch, that’s not great. My 2018 impact is the driest boat I’ve ever been in (on deck AND in the bilge), hitting rollers on vermilion at 40mph and I’m bone dry. It’s better than my 1997 Lund Pro Sport, but in both cases the full windshield helped. I would drive a tiller the same way I drive a sport config and expect to stay dry that’s for sure

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

While I have owned many aluminum hulls, I can say the brand isnt as significant as the given model. My Pro V and tournament sport were the top models at the time, tracked far better than the sub tier price point models. I am certain that this was primarily due to the overall weight and additional substructure in the hull.

With that said, we certainly have to manage expectations and realize not every model does everything the same. Tracking is probably the number one factor of why people rarely go back to aluminum once they have glass. But at the end of the day, have fun fishing in whatever boat you’re in !

nu98walleye

If you don’t want to use the tools available one can only expect mediocre results.

I have an 18′ 04 ProV Tiller and when facing a cross wind will most often troll backwards with a drift sock attached to the bow. Yes it is a pain to deal with at times but i figure the benefits out weigh the negatives… plus i always bring a buddy with and its his job to pull the sock in/out )

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Butthurt wrote:</div>

I have an 18′ 04 ProV Tiller and when facing a cross wind will most often troll backwards with a drift sock attached to the bow. Yes it is a pain to deal with at times but i figure the benefits out weigh the negatives… plus i always bring a buddy with and its his job to pull the sock in/out )

I call it the sock B!tch. And if that sock b!tch decided to intoxicate you with his awful gasses the night prior somehow a whole bedroom away you pin the bow of boat where he is fishing on the deepend, while you and your other bud are in the back with the kicker moving up/down on the break catching fish and he’s left wondering why he isn’t having such a good fishing day.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Look into getting a skeg for your Terrova. It makes a world of difference in steering and tracking. A company at the sports show has come out with a retail version of the skeg while many of my friends have been using DIY versions for years.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Leelock.com

Magnum skeg

Look into getting a skeg for your Terrova. It makes a world of difference in steering and tracking. A company at the sports show has come out with a retail version of the skeg while many of my friends have been using DIY versions for years.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Love the LeeLock Skeg. But my DI ducer is there. Did they make an option for the ducer to be mounted as well.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I ordered a 3 blade prop for the Terrova and the Vantage. That should help some.

91reddog

For what it’s worth. I love my Skeeter that you helped me buy. )

T Riley

I have an Ulterra 80# bow mount on a 19′ Tyee. First trip out trolling we set the MinnKota pointing straight ahead on constant speed and used the big motor as a rudder. Worked great! Sat in the pilots seat and made minor steering changes.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I put a 3 blade prop on the Terrova. WOW What a difference. I highly recommend that for everyone.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

This is one of the reasons I use my front live well instead of my rear, my rear is just used for dry storage. But I am fortunate I have a 182 Tournament Crestliner where the keel in the front is deeper it is what Skeeter copied there react keel from. Just totally luv the way my 182 trolls in any kind of wind or current.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

After hearing about it on this page I ordered a leeLock, modified it to fit my powerdrive V2.

Looking forward to trying it out.

I am continuously on my remote controlling the boat for best control. I’ll report back my findings to see what difference it makes.

Thanks for the info!

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190622084855911.jpg

2. CameraZOOM-20190622083956042.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.