HDS settings

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

How do you guys have your Lowrance HDS units set? Which mode of operation are you guys having the best luck with? Do you use auto sensitivity and if so do you adjust the auto sensitivity by applying an offset? Thanks for the input guys.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have had my HDS units only for a short while but I use the GPS page while underway and the Sonar Page while fishing. I set these two pages accordingly. When I hit the throttle I am on the GPS page split with the sonar page being the smallest side and I have all the overlays put on they way I like them. Then when I get to my fishing location I switch over to the Sonar page split with the Gps being the smaller side and both with the correct overlays. This works great for me.

Forgot about the sensitivity…. I use the Auto most of the time but will occasionally use the manual adjustments to get the best picture for the conditions.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

First off, I’ll say it and get it out of the way. I fish/use a sonar/gps differently than most.

While underway, I’ll use the STEER page with 1/3 of the display in the sonar mode. The steer page uses pre made routes and guides a person along these routes telling the operator to turn left or right to stay on the desired route.

This works exceptionally well (after checking the route in the daylight) for boating in the dark or fog. I have a route that runs from Everts to the Dam. It makes me feel much better knowing I’m in the middle of the channel going home when a spotlight is usless in a fog. But it’s still not a license to speed.

Disclaimer: The best GPS does not warn of a tree floating down the river and all boater should use at least two forms of navagation.

Now for my normal fishing, I use the Sonar screen with 1/3 the GPS screen to mark waypoints with. I’m mostly looking for underwater structure and of course this is where the sonar comes in.

I’ve set up the overlays towards the edges of the screen, out of the way but for easy viewing. The one over lay I’m missing is the voltage just because I forgot to place it. Very handy when not running the motor for long periods of time or when playing the battery eating CD player.

I haven’t used the HSD unit enough to comment on the sensitivity setting. Soon though I hope.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks for the input guys. I have only had my new units on the water twice now and I learn more about them every time out. I think I am going to really like them when I get them all dialed.

My main goal right now is to figure out which mode of operation gives me the best read out. There are several different modes with shallow water mode and general mode being a couple. Also it seems like when I am running the units with auto sensitivity on, I always have to apply a -5 to -10 percent setting to clear up some of the clutter on the screen. Have you guys noticed this?

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have my units in the shallow water mode all the time. I fish 90% of the time in 35′ of water or less. Concerning your sensitivity… I am not sure what you are referring too as far as applying a -5 or -10….but for me if my surface clutter is to much I will adjust the sensitively as needed. A good portion of the time I will leave the sensitivity adjustment bar/gauge up on the screen for ease of use.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.