StructureScan Images

• AllanTarvid

Nobody is posting any StructureScan views so here is one I recorded of an old submerged bridge support that was partially demolished when a new bridge replaced an old one. You can clearly see the base and what’s left of two support pillars. This scan was recorded with the unit running StructureScan in the auto mode with default settings and the broadband sonar in auto mode with 10 percent extra sensitivity added.

This is a triple screen view from an HDS8. The left side view shows the two sidescans and you can see that I ran almost directly over the bridge support because part of it is shown in the left scan and part in the right. The top right window shows the Downscan vertical view and the bottom right window shows the “conventional” downward view from the broadband sonar.

I got an early unit to test about 10 days ago and am trying to wring it out before the lakes here in Montana freeze and the snow gets serious. So far I am really impressed with the StructureScan, and I’ve noticed that the software update that enabled the new feature also helped the broadband sonar. I can now run at my boat’s top speed of a whopping 35-37MPH with the noise filter on low in situations that used to call for a medium or high setting.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Welcome to IDO, Allan.

Ain’t technology great! Between the Humminbird and Lowrance the consumer has a lot to soak up and consider these days. Keep those screen shots coming.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Thanks for sharing! It certainly looks great. It does not sound like it look a lot of adjusting to get the pictures just right. Keep the feedback coming and WELCOME to IDO.

FDR

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Those are great shots. How did you get them from the scan to your computer to here?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Thanks for the photos and info. Sure wish I could get one to test.

It is going to be tough to decide between the Lowrance and the HB.

AllanTarvid

The board’s manage photos option in the reply section says it will handle .PNG files and that’s how the screen shots are named when saved on the unit, but I had to convert the shot into a .JPG file to get it to load. (I may be doing something wrong). To get them off the unit you put an SD card in one of the unit’s slots and then go into the unit’s “files” menu and download the screen shots from the unit’s internal memory to the card. Then you stick the card in a reader attached to the computer to save them on the computer’s hard drive. It’s actually a bit easier with the Humminbird system which saves the shots directly to an SD card in one of the unit’s slots when you save it out on the lake.

Both brands save the shots with a single press of a button, a GREAT help to me as an outdoor writer, I used to have to freeze the screen when I saw something I liked and then turn the boat and angle the screen to get the light right so I could shoot pictures of it with a camera. That was way more difficult.

AllanTarvid

<<It is going to be tough to decide between the Lowrance and the HB.>>

That’s going to be a big question for a lot of folks. Both companies make top notch products and it seems like about the time you can decide which one you like best a software update can come along that changes everything!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I had heard Lowrance was working on this tech but did not know they were ready to go. Nice.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Sweet shots…like the downscan version.

bigpike

Very cool I have been waiting for this, keep posting us with any info you get on this product Thank You

fishton
    South Africa

What an interesting weekend with the Lowrance StructureScan™ (LSS-1) on Inanda Dam. Due to the windy conditions on Friday afternoon, I was restricted to a little bay just before Joe’s Banks. Inanda Dam – KZN – South Africa

Step one was to turn the transducer around on the mounting bracket so that left was left and right was right. You have no idea how confusing this was when I first got to test the LSS-1.

Step two was to create a ‘known structure/cover’ and see how the LSS-1 ‘sees’ it. I wanted to use something light (branch attached to base to keep it upright), that will make it difficult for the LSS-1, because we know it works great on the big heavy stuff (like the stump on the left).

While in left and right side scanning mode, the ‘known structure’ was clearly visible in the water column, also note how clear the spawning beds are. Like dimples on a golf ball.

When searching from a distance, this light structure is not visible at all on the StructureScan, as suspected.

But once passed over in the DownScan mode with a split screen 200kHz view, it becomes VERY clear.

Saturday 14th:- The next exercise was to go over a known tree in Rocky Bay. Due to the water level having dropped by around five feet, this tree is now visible from the surface in the clean water and is in about 24ft of water. The tree and a couple of predators were quite clear in this 83Khz image. But I had no idea what I would find once changing over to DownScan …

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first spotted this tree in DownScan, the detail was just amazing, and not to mention the fry shoaling around the main branch on the left. The predators could also be seen hanging around the tree and in the tree.

After a couple of passes with a Norman DD14 Tennessee Shad I managed to pick up one of the fish a few metres off the tree. You can see the tip of the tree from the surface in this image.

Here’s another great shot of the fry in this tree …

I then remembered another similar tree in Barbel Bay, so I headed off that way to see if the tree would be similar to the one in Rocky Bay. On my way there, slap bang in the middle of the bay, in 50ft of water I came across this showing on the DownScan and immediately took a waypoint (64).

I then changed over to 83kHz on the Broadband and voila, fish everywhere! I took another waypoint in this mode just to be sure (65). These fish seemed to be suspended above an old field of bushes in 50ft of water. On my second pass I noticed that they had moved down a little deeper. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at these fish and I could not get a nibble. I then thought it might be carp or bream, so the only way to find out was to send my camera down on video mode.

Check out this video, unfortunately the original sound track got lost. It was quite classic, because you could actually hear when the camera’s seal went and you could hear it leaking. The Optio W20 is only meant for 3 metres maximum, and I sent it down to nearly 40ft!

YouTube – Lowrance DownScan

AllanTarvid

Great screen shots and a cool video at the link.

I’m surprised the thin tree didn’t show up on the side pass, I would have thought you’d be able to see something of it.

About turning your transducer around, did you notice there is a mention in the installation instructions and in the owner’s manual of a choice in the menu that lets you reverse the left and right side views on the screen to correct for that? I installed mine “backwards” with the cable coming off the rear end of the transducer so I didn’t have to bend it tightly against the transom, then I used that menu selection to reverse left and right and it shows everything in its proper place.

AllanTarvid

Just reading this thread again I noticed your greeting…

Sorry about being so rude. I certainly agree that fishermen are the winners when manufacturers compete, and thanks for the welcome!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi Fishton…. welcome! And we all thank you for the incredible images. The structure scan of the fry in the tree tops in absolutely incredible!

bigpike

That is pretty awesome thanks for posting that Welocme to IDO

fishton
    South Africa

Quote:

I installed mine “backwards” with the cable coming off the rear end of the transducer so I didn’t have to bend it tightly against the transom, then I used that menu selection to reverse left and right and it shows everything in its proper place.

Hi Allan,

But I think cable aft is default – just double check when cruising along a steep drop off or jetty.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I just love spending time with these new gadgets, nearly as much fun as actually catching fish.

I sometimes feel like an ex-bird hunter that has become a bird photographer.

grego

These side-scan images are so cool I could look at them all day. I guess that’s why they say you might not get as much fishing in once you get one.

Keep the pics coming. They are awsome.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.