Lowrance touch screen inputs please

• mike-west
    Amery, WI

I would like anyone that is using Lowrance Touch to chime in and give +’s & -‘s.
    Mostly about screen and cleanliness but also about ease of use or lack of

No Ford Chevy feedbacks Please

Thanks in advance

ted-merdan

I have a 12 touch and really like it. I have it right next to an HDS 10 Gen2 and also like that. The SW on the HDS’s are a bit different to learn comming from 113’s like I ran for 5+ years but once you use it a bit it all becomes natural. I believe the touch screen is quicker to use than the HDS10 has been my experence. I am running the 12 touch for sonar and the 10 Gen2 for GPS.

Let me know if you have further questions.

-ted

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

The biggest thing that jumps out to me on the lowrance touches is that it is touch only. You have no buttons to be able to page through the screens and such. Other than that I havent ran one or played with one enough to say anything farther.

eyetime
    Northeast Iowa

I have the 12 touch and really like it. I have no problem seeing the screen in sunlight and when it is dirty from use for the day. I also have 2 10″ screens in my boat. The 12 inch takes almost the same amount of power draw as the 2 10’s combined. I would go to all touch screens, but the battery drain is to much for a day of fishing. Absolutely recommend the touch screens! Any other ?’s feel free to ask.
    Brian

I guess I’ve never given touch screens the time of day up until this point, mainly because I HATE fingerprints on my graph screens. The last thing I want is someone touching my screens with dirty worm bedding hands or slimy fish hands.

For those of you that are running the touch screens, how do they hold up to smudges and scratches? Also can you operate them with a light glove on?

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Quote:

I guess I’ve never given touch screens the time of day up until this point, mainly because I HATE fingerprints on my graph screens. The last thing I want is someone touching my screens with dirty worm bedding hands or slimy fish hands.

For those of you that are running the touch screens, how do they hold up to smudges and scratches? Also can you operate them with a light glove on?

Exactly why I inquired on this topic.
    Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.
    Most that have used them say they love em.
    Keep em coming… Please

ted-merdan

Actually, there are a few buttons on the upper right side of the face of the unit to get you to pages, waypoint, + and -. They come in handy also.

Screen has been rock solid for me. Last year at the boat show the Lowrance booth had a shower head running on one of the touch screens and it operated without an issue. I used mine 3 seperate times between Nov 15 – 25th last fall and didn’t have an issue with the screen. When it’s cold I use gloves like theCabela’s Data Tip Gloves which are the same gloves that I use on my touch screen smart phone.

For cleaning, as I do with all my screens I keep a bottle of lens cleaner in my boat and use the towels that Lowrance supplies with the units and wipe as necessary. When you run tiller like I do you expect spray on your graphs ever now and then…

Good luck with your decision.

-ted

KirtH
    Lakeville

Ditto to what Ted said, love mine. I have the Keypad 8 and Touch 9 Touch 9 is nice. And yes there are buttons to operate if needed but you dont.

eyetime
    Northeast Iowa

I was a huge skeptic of the “touch screen” aspect before my purchase of it. After a full season of use, I have no regrets! For me now to give it up would be like taking my smart phone away and giving me a flip phone. And that’s not going to happen. You do have to have an exposed finger or the special gloves that Ted suggested to operate it in cold weather. I personally found for me that the cold weather operation was not an issue for me. You still can drop quick waypoints with the mechanical button with your gloves on.
    Brian

igotone

Quote:

X-2 — can not stand that
    plus I was able to get a NEW 7 Gen 2 for 7 bills cause guy wanted a NEW HDS 7 Touch — thanks man

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I have ran the gen1 & gen2 hds units and last year went to the touch units(9 & 7). My only concern was finger prints but that was never a problem! I clean my screens every couple days anyways cause of water spots.

If you are familiar with the non touch hds units the learning curve of the touch menus is a breeze and actually easier then the non touch units. Overall very happy and cant wait to get back in the boat this spring

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

The biggest thing that jumps out to me on the lowrance touches is that it is touch only. You have no buttons to be able to page through the screens and such. Other than that I havent ran one or played with one enough to say anything farther.

Eric you can page threw your screens. I cant remember if its the regular screens or your favorite/custom screens. Its the upper right button.

OutdoorAssociate
    Rochester Mn

400+ hours using 9 and 12 touch . All issues taken care of by keeping software up dated. Easy to use. NO problems with seeing screen in sun light, or thru finger prints, easy clean up and no scratches. Structure scan is clear. Cory is right, top key a short press displays home screen. Repeated short press toggles through favorite pages. Great units .

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I think the touch screens are easier to get the water spots off of than the non-touch Gen 2’s.

Can anyone second that?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.