HDS-7 Icons

• doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I can’t seem to figure it out

On my old 522C I could hit ENTER ENTER and it would place an Icon on the screen (symbol of my choosing). This was nice because I could mark fish caught, etc…without having it be an actual Waypoint.

Does this feature exist on the HDS units? All I can seem to find is actually creating a waypoint.

Thanks!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Once you’ve got the way point in if you scroll the pointer on to it you can change the icon from the blue dot to whatever you would like.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Thanks for the replies, but I guess maybe I need to re-state my issue.

I can create waypoints and change their symbols on my HDS-7.

but….
    Back on my 520C I could create waypoints AND I could just add marks to my screen. These marks were not waypoints that I could navigate to. Simply marks/symbols on the screen where you could mark fish you’ve caught or structure, etc…

In fact, I seem to remember a video James did (Maybe night trolling???) where he added a bunch of fish marks, but then only added a singular waypoint to mark the entire area.
    Did this functionality disappear with the HDS units?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The icon functionality does not exist in the HDS units. Your only option is a waypoint.

lundproangler
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

The icon functionality does not exist in the HDS units. Your only option is a waypoint.

Yes, this is the correct statement.

I too miss the icons.
    I now have MANY more waypoints because of this change.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Thanks for the info guys!!

I guess I’ll have to just use waypoints. It seems like a very functional thing they left out of the HDS units.

bummer.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

It seems that I remember reading something about the absence of iconson the HDS units. If I recall, it was due to their lack of functionality (compared to a waypoint) that they were not included.

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

As I remember, icons were used in the LCX, LMS and earlier units because they did not use as much memory as Waypoints and memory was an issue. With the HDS units and the hardware becoming bigger and cheaper, icons were not needed any longer. Now Waypoints are used. They are the same as icons but have the Lon and Lat associated with them.

To change the icon associated with the Waypoint, you can use the arrow key to move the cursor over the Waypoint on the map, hit menu and edit the Waypoint. In this menu you can change the blue circle to an X and change the color to any of the 7 options available. There are also alot of subject specific icons to choose from. Be sure to save your changes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.