HDS5 Just died??? HELP!!

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I’m out drifting in really calm wind this weekend and just staring at the sonar looking at depth changes and all of the sudden, it just went dead. I messed with all of the power sources and checked fuses, switched it over to a different battery and still nothing?? I’ve only used this thing for about 4 fishing trips so far and less than 30 hrs of use at the maximum. Any hints or diagnosis?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

That’s a tough one. Is the retailer close enough so you can
    plug it into their demo plug-in to see if you get power
    there?

Did you tape off all of the loose smaller gauge wires that
    aren’t being used?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Luckily I’m really close to the Cabelas in town. That is going to be one of my first stops today when I get a chance. Other than that, I really don’t have any loose wires that aren’t being used, except for a really small white one that I have never figured out what it is for??? I’ve never had any problems with this unit before and it’s not like it was getting splashed with H20 so that’s what has me really concerned??

sandmannd

Your best bet is to take it in and see if it works on their power source. It might be as simple as that. How old is the system and is it still under warranty? If it is, and the power doesn’t work at the shop then get it fixed then I would get some warranty work done.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I’m trying to remember the exact date I purchased it, but I’m thinking it was around 2 yrs old. Of course after the warranty is out

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

If you have someone near you who has an HDS unit you could try to connect their unit to your connectors to determine if it is the unit that is bad or if you have an electrical or battery issue.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Well, good news is it’s not the unit itself! Bad news, it’s my wiring on the boat!! Time to tear stuff apart again!

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

FIgured out it was the terminal on my ground wire! Frustrating but oh what a relief

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.