Lowrance Active Target telescoping pole mount????

• the_hat
    SE Metro

Ok, I know this has been covered for Garmin units pretty heavily but I will post anyway. I need a telescoping pole mount for my new setup and am aware of the Summit one, and I see Fishing Specialties has one as well? Does anyone use the fishing specialties product? There website is less than user friendly. I am going to mount it at the drivers seat on my rail. I don’t want anything permanent like the fishing specialties plate that I am seeing used due to cover issues. Was just looking at probably a RAM arm with a ball mounted on the rail. I like the idea of the cable inside the telescoping pole, which the Summit product doesn’t seem to be, and the Fishing spc. is. Any one have any insight on this setup before I start guessing? Would prefer to do it right the first time if possible.

Thanks!

Ongo

Brew City is another one that seems to be pretty popular. A friend of mine just got one so hopefully I’ll get to see it in action soon.

I have a Summit pole for ice fishing but haven’t tried to set it up in the boat yet.

the_hat
    SE Metro

Thanks for the response. I don’t see that the Brew City pole is telescoping unless I am missing that option someplace. I for sure want that option I am realizing.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I don’t think I have really seen a telescoping pole mount as of yet. Not saying there isn’t one out there, but I just have never seen it.

I have a Fishing Specialties mount I am probably going to get rid of because I bought the Brew City Mount myself.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I just went thru this decision myself, with all the same questions and concerns. I have mounted my EliteFS9 and Active Target on the Summit shuttle and am in the process of mounting the pole support to both of my boats. I too, figure the ball mount will be less intrusive and more cover friendly than removing a plate every time.
    I plan to use mine while ice fishing as well. Thus the ability to separate the transduce and cable from the pole assembly, actually falls into the “plus” side of the equation for me.
    Summit review; No actual usage as such yet. Unpacking 1st impressions, very nice telescoping pole (again a plus due to various uses and boats). I do like what I see in the way the hinge mount is built for the Active Target Transducer. The 3D printed parts appear to be functional but the finish is coarse. (Think un-sanded saw cuts on wood)
    Hope this helps. I also hope my feelings don’t change after I get a change to get on the water.

One other thought, if it applies to you. Cost; I could purchase the Summit system, complete with a “shuttle base” for about the same or less than what the Fishing Specialties would have been with NO shuttle base (I don’t even think they offer a base.)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I don’t think I have really seen a telescoping pole mount as of yet. Not saying there isn’t one out there, but I just have never seen it.

Chris,
    When you say “out there” do you mean “out there on the market” or “out there on the water”?

My thought is a telescoping pole will be adjusted once and pretty much never touched again. Unless the situation changes. ie: moving the pole from one boat to another or moving the pole to an ice fishing application.

the_hat
    SE Metro

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Haven’t seen one used or didn’t know they exist?
    Fishing Specialties has one, (I assume yours is fixed at one length).
    Summit I know is the popular one that pairs with its shuttle.
    I am probably leaning that way for ease of mounting, and will live with the exposed cable.

the_hat
    SE Metro

Dave, did you get the cable clips/keepers that they sell for the pole or are just going to go with electrical tape?

I too figure once it is set there won’t be much or a need to change it for the summer. Most boats I would use it in are similar to mine.

Thank you for the feedback!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Dave, did you get the cable clips/keepers that they sell for the pole or are just going to go with electrical tape?

I did get the keepers. I figured for 10 bucks I’d try them out. They do seem sturdy and I expect them to perform as desired.

The pole itself is well made. I suspect it is simply, one entire leg from a camera tripod.

Summit was out of the 6 inch Ram mount so I ordered the pole without it, after finding a 6 inch available on Amazon. Total spent was the same money, plus I ended up with a second ball, to be mounted on my other boat.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Messerschmidt wrote:</div>

Chris,
    When you say “out there” do you mean “out there on the market” or “out there on the water”?

My thought is a telescoping pole will be adjusted once and pretty much never touched again. Unless the situation changes. ie: moving the pole from one boat to another or moving the pole to an <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing application.

I hear ya, I guess when I hear “telescoping”, I think you’re saying you want something to be shorter or longer depending on needs.

I think what I am gathering you’re looking for something you can use in many different applications/boats. In this case if I read it right, there are plenty of options.

Fin Gear, Brew City, Fishing Specialties and a few others all have options that will do what I think you’re looking for.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I don’t think I have really seen a telescoping pole mount as of yet

Fin Gear, Brew City, Fishing Specialties and a few others all have options that will do what I think you’re looking for.

Chris,
    You seem to be talking in circles. 1st you say you have not seen one, then you give 3 sources for one.

FWIW; I’m not looking for one, the OP is the one looking.

the_hat
    SE Metro

Chris,
    You are correct in your interpretation in my desire to be able to adjust the length of the pole given the immediate situation. The Summit pole and the Fishing Specialties one both allow you to go from 24″ to 60″ or thereabouts. Neither of the other companies you mentioned have those options. They appear to have various lengths, but they are all fixed at whatever length you choose to purchase it at. Not what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the responses, I ended up going with a Summit Pole and accessories that will work in both my boats as well as on the ice if I want it to.

Good Luck!
    waytogo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.