Lower planing speed WX2100

• JA
    Ham Lake, MN

Although this is my first post, I have been visiting the site and learning quite a bit! Thanks all for the helpful and useful information!

I recently purchased a 2012 WX2100 with a 300 Offshore. So far I love the boat, but it planes around 30 mph. I would like it to plane at lower speed (say 24mph or lower) for occasional water sports and rough water capability.

I am considering switching the propeller from the 3-blade 21 pitch (I do not know the exact make/model) to a 4-blade 19 pitch, but am unsure on which one to get.

Would a hydrofoil added to the lower unit help? What are the pros and cons?

I know trim tabs would also help, but am not sure if that’s in the budget at this time.

Any suggestions or insight and experience are welcomed.

Thanks!
    JA23

Ripjiggen

Not sure where you are located but the skeeter boat center in Ramsey MN or Chippewa Falls Wisc is the experts when it comes to skeeter. They would be my first call for a question like this.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

If you don’t have trim tabs, I highly recommend them, SBC put mine on. I have an MX2025 with the F300. Put them down and you pop right up on plane, bow rise is greatly reduced on takeoff and I can maintain plane at 12-13 mph, if memory serves. Oh and for rough water they are the way to go. if it gets too rough for my wife, she asks “Can you put your flaps down?”

Pauleye
    Onamia

Welcome to IDO.
    It’s nice to see something about a 2100. Not to many question on them. I’ll give you my 2cents.

I have a 2011 with 300 offshore.
    I was running a salt water 21 pitch. The problems I was having was not enough RPM and blow outs driving in rough water. My 300 is mounted in second hole. I tested a friend’s Bravo 4 blade 20 pitch. It increased handling, speed and helped with blowouts. RPM’s remained the same. I purchased a Bravo 4 blade 19p. It increased my RPM’s but I didn’t like the speed loss and handling.
    So I went back to the Bravo 4blade 20p.
    One unforeseen added benefit is you can trim it up bat s**t crazy & get most of the hull out of the water.

I can’t answer about a hydo-foil.
    I did install trim tabs a couple years ago. Best money I spent. I can plane out at about 17mph.
    If your handy you can find them on the web. That’s what I did.
    It’s like driving a new boat.

If you have to chose between tabs or prop chose tabs. You will get more bang for your buck.

Not sure where you live, but if your ever around Mille Lacs I’ll take you for a ride.

Musky Ed

When I switched to a Bravo LT on my mx2040, I was able to plane almost 4mph less than the Yamaha 3 blade, no trim tabs. 17 mph with Bravo, 20 to 21mph with 3 blade. With my wx2200 18 to 19 with 3 blade, 15 to 16 with Bravo. This is with 9×12 trim tabs though. I would assume a Bravo fs or rev4 to be similar. 30 mph sounds like alot. Trim tabs will be the best investment you could make on that boat. If you installed them yourself, would not be much more than a good 4 blade prop.

JA
    Ham Lake, MN

Thanks to all for your input. Trim tabs are more affordable than I thought, especially if I install them myself. I will shop for trim tabs, but need to get the boat out of storage to take measurements. I’ll see how the boat performs with the tabs and perhaps change the prop if needed.

Thanks again!
    Jeff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.