Lowe R1655 2010 model

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Anyone run one of these? Wondering what hp you are using and how you like the boat. Just purchased one without an engine and the max rating is for a 50 hp. I think for what I want it for a 30 or 40 would do just fine. I’m not in a rush so don’t need to go fast and where I fish I’m usually fairly close to a landing. If the weather is bad and being retired I just go another day. Going to sell my 14 foot Alumacraft.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m sure most here will tell you to go as close to the Max HP as you can afford. I for sure would not go with the 30. You probably will be OK with a 40 depending on the # of people are with you most often and the amount of gear you like to have in the boat. I can tell you from personal experience that there is noting worse in a boat than being under powered. Its also a safety issue if you don’t have enough power to get the boat on plane in a reasonable time and distance.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I think a 30hp with T&T would be just fine on this flat bottom boat. I run a 25hp on a heavy 16 foot Alumacraft Waterfowler and gets up on plan quick. Top end 23-25.

Spend the extra $$ and get tilt and trim. You will not regret it!

-J.

leinieman

Thanks Jon and fishthumper. Yes it will be electric trim tilt and electric start with whatever I get. I was thinking Suzuki 30 4 stroke but will be checking prices and specs on Yamaha and Mercury as well. The person I bought from had an older 25 on it. Anyone else with a flatbottom have any thoughts? What kind do you have fishthumper?

milemark_714

You will be fine with the Suzuki 30.I have a Seaark 1660,and originally had a 25 Mercury 2-stroke on it and wasn’t bad.Had I not found a super deal deal on a 50 Yamaha 2-stroke,I would have ran that 25 until it croaked.

From what you listed,I would definitely go with the Suzuki,probably the best in that class.Now that Etec is gone smash

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I really don’t have a horse in this race, but for what it’s worth if you look at most of the threads on this forum where people ask about powering and re-powering, there’s a whole of of evidence in favor of simply maxing it out to begin with and not living with that regret. Just throwing it out there, of course always do what’s best for your situation but in most cases there’s a lot of “wish I would have maxed out” after a year or two of running lower than max.

catnip
    south metro

I had a 2008 R1455 and man i miss that boat. I started with a freshly rebuilt 35hp johnson and then went to a 40 hp johnson that was a few years newer with tnt. With just me and gear all together close to 600 lbs it would go 32mph add another guy and his gear another 300 lbs i got 28mph. I always felt the 16’er would do the same or better. That boat felt almost as stable as my pontoon. 2 heavy guys could kneel over the same side with absolute no worries of flipping it. I will say that it didn’t turn sharp at speed very well. It would slide and skip rather than cut or carv.

leinieman

Thanks for the replies all. Still trying to decide on motor size but will figure that out. Want to watch for a good used one also before buying new but there sure doesn’t seem to be a lot on the market. I’m not opposed to a 2 stroke if its a newer one in great shape with electric T/T and start. I like the idea of a lighter weight motor so will keep looking.

tim hurley

They told me to get the max hp. I did. VERY glad I did.

leinieman

What kind of boat do you run Tim?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.