Lowe big Jon 1648

• Justin Karriker

So I have a Lowe Big Jon 1648. I’ve got a tiller handle 50HP Mariner on it. I do not have a front bench in it.

I’d post pics, but don’t have any handy, and I’m in MN and my boat is back in NC. Going back in June to visit, and will bring it back with me.

As much as I’d love to have a V hull, Im probably going to have to make due with this one.

I have a Minn-Kota Powerdrive now mount 55lb thrust for it, 48″ shaft I think.

The trolling motor isn’t mounted, so it’s negotiable so to speak. It was a replacement for a bow mount tiller handle motor.

Would like to walleye fish. Smaller lakes and probably pool 2 mostly.

Would you stay with the bow mount or run a transom mount electric motor? I like the idea of the bow mount because the back end is a little heavy anyway, but I see a lot of transom mount motors up here.

I’m a complete newb to walleye. I’m used to slow trolling crappie, or just using the trolling motor to go dock to dock shooting jigs, etc.

Any of you guys have a Lowe Jon? Any modifications? I like to cruise tinboats and see great mods, but I’m looking more species specific now.

Most walleye techniques are different than what I’m used to. Just looking to turn what I have into something useful and try to prepare for when I get it up here next month.

dbright
    Cambridge

I would stick with the bow mount for the river. Rod holders are nice when trolling.

Tinboats is a great site for info. I spend some time in the jet boat section.

catmando
    wis

On the river i think you would be better off with the transom mount ,about a 70 pound thrust.Put the back end into the current steer with one hand ,fish with the other.Just like a person would back troll ,but slip down stream.I have a power drive on my jon and i am no fan of that herky jerky thing in current, in a lake its just ok. For the front of the boat i would buy cable steer motor. Just one mans opinon DK.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I have a Lowe 1648m. Mine is the modified V hull. I built a front deck on it and added a 80lb 24v minnkota maxxium. I’d suggest finding a 24volt trolling motor it makes fishing the river much easier.

Attachments:
    1. image27.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.