LOW Resort Options

• Rick Z
    Stark MN

I plan to make a trip to LOW in March. I am bringing a female with me. I want to make it as comfortable as possible for her so she enjoys the experience. Any recommendations on resorts with cabins, restaurants and facilities? We have all the equipment to fish out of a portable if needed. However, I think the trip would be more enjoyable for her if we do the whole guided thing.

Thoughts?

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Me and a friend just booked with Sportsmans Lodge. A lot of their packages have meal plans it looks like. It also looks like they have an indoor pool and hot tub. We have never been before, but from what I have seen on here and read they seem like a good operation.

Fishwater83

I am doing new years with my buddy and our wives at Arnesens. my wife and I have done the portable thing up there but if you want her to enjoy her time and want to go back it’s nice to be able to go back to a cabin and shower and relax. nice thing about arnesens is there is no truck traffic whereas places that you can drive to the fish house you will see a lot more traffic. for the most part we found arnesens to be in the same price range as everyone else with the advantage of being able to hit the reefs. We also plan on cooking our meals as paying an extra $100 per person is crazy, we plan on pre making a few crockpot meals to turn on when we leave in the morning and come home to a nice ready warm meal. I have stayed out in sleepers on lotw multiple times as well and the night bite is non-existant so going back to the cabin isn’t a big deal each night. hope this helps.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Some individuals have different perspectives on “guides” on LOW. By guide do you mean traditional guide and they take you out in their truck/snowmobiles or ATV, use portables, and use their gear or are you talking the “LOW resort guide” where they drop you off in a hard side shack and you use all your own gear and maybe you see them before they pick yo up at the end of the day?

Im not trying to me a smart aleck about this but it really is an honest question about what you are looking for based on 2 different services that have the same names on LOW.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I guess I was asking about both. I am not sure she is going to want to ride snowmobiles out and fish in a portable all day. So I am leaning towards getting a ride and fishing in a resort house.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve stayed with my wife in a sleeper from River Bend. We’ve done it twice and really liked them. Owners are great people and really care about your stay.

They have cabins and day houses too.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If staying in the Wheelers Point area, for sure the Sportsman.
    Its more like a Hotel, has a nice bar, restaurant area , the pull tabs are good also.
    If I were bringing the Ladies I would also upgrade to a sleeper house even thou I was not sleeping out there overnight, because they tend to be nicer than the day houses and have a bathroom.
    my .02

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Eelpoutguy you are a genius!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
    wink

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

If you want a Wilderness view…

Get up into the NW Angle of LOTW and enjoy it’s beauty !!

I have been to several resorts on LOTW and they all are very good… Lots of great info given here and eelpoutguy nailed it on the sleeper house for the comfort !!

Try Sunset Lodge up in the NW Angle if you want to see lots of islands and bays.. Great fishing fantastic hospitality very nice accommodations and they have a full bar and restaurant…

http://www.sunsetlodgeresort.com/

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Thanks Dave. That is exactly what Will Roseberg told me yesterday. That is the plan for next year for sure. Some in our party don’t have Passports for this year and I am not sure a 30 mile snowmobile ride is what we are looking for. So this year LOW, next year NW Angle!!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Eelpoutguy you are a genius!!

Been up twice with the guys and never thought of this. If my wife ever decides to try it, that will be the plan. This was a bit of genius for the day applause

To the OP, most are great. I’ve done Ballard’s and Sportsmans and recommend both.

Nice Fella

Ballards’ Resort has done a good job for my crew. Heading up for the 5th year in early Jan. I’d say they make it comfortable for lady guests as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.