LOW & Rainey River?

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

We are heading that way this coming Saturday the 19th. Fishing the 20th through the 23rd, then home the 24th. My 21st consecutive year doing this trip. If I may ask;

What are the water temps up there now?

Is the flow still rolling high in the river?

I have reports that the shiners are and have been running up into RR, any truth?

Thanks, if any of you will be there at the same time give me a holler please, I’d love to shake your hand or at lease greet you on the phone.
    Thanks,
    Denny O.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Just a pic from a past year

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20161023_075931975.jpg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

My brother was up last weekend fishing muskies on the Canada side. He stayed in baudette, however. The river was very very high but people he talked to said walleyes were going well on the lake. That’s all the info I have heard recently from the south side.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks Charlie! I’m staying @ Ballards as usual for this fall trip. Fishing the big water is always a roll of the dice providing the waves stay under a tolerable height!

grizzly
    nebraska

Heard there was a tournament there last weekend on the river and25 out of 50 had a 0. Very high and muddy. Not sure if true good luck

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks Griz!

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Yep, I’ll be up Thursday!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Where are you staying and for how long Francis?

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I will be up on Friday. I think we are staying at wheelers.

corya
    Iowa

My brother and I just got back yesterday. We were up there 10th-15th. Yes, the river is very high and strong current, but honestly the fishing is fantastic. You just have to fish shallower than you normally would. 10-12 ft of water is where we spent most of our time. You’ll also need heavier jigs. We used 3/4 – 1 oz the whole trip. Caught more than enough eaters, a ton of small saugers, and probably a dozen or more slots. Biggest was 26.5″. Spent some time in 4 mile Bay, the weedline out in front of Ballard’s by the wind sock was solid as well. Good Luck!

corya
    Iowa

Also water temp on my graph was showing 51ish when we got there and 49ish when we left.

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

We’ll be at the Wigwam and fishing Friday & Saturday.

grizzly
    nebraska

Thanks for the info

gonefishin

Hi Francis,
    Do you fish the same spots in the fall as in the spring? I was thinking of a fall trip before something came up.

I have not made it up in the spring the last couple of years as Drew has been to busy. But next spring I definitely plan to be back up and join the group.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks Corya

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Denny,

Do you ever sleep? Or are you jacked up about the trip? Good luck.

Denny2

B-man

A buddy of mine is fishing the river right now.

He said it’s the highest he’s ever seen in the fall (25 years or so).

They’re getting some fish, but he said it’s challenging.

I’m going up Saturday.

Walleyeguy

Denny, you’ll have to give us a report. Heading up there the 24-27th here. Was contemplating going to Leech lake (main lake I fish) but had the itch to try rainy for the first time. Any insight would be great! Good luck up there

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Phil, this is just a casual trip for us. Fishing down by the lake dunking frozen shinners. I have never seen the water so high before. At all of the resort docks, the water is just to the bottom of the dock.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Fishing is good for numbers. Yesterday we never ventured to lighthouse gap as we heard multiple times there is a large school of drinks out there.

Plenty of eaters near the resorts with a few low 20’s mixed in.

3/4 ounce minimum needed and think shallow

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks to all of you, heading up Saturday with 2 others in tow and meeting up with maybe 50ish others on Sunday night.

hnd

just posted today. We’ve done this before.

cheers

Nice video . How do you like your Simms suite ? I need to get new rain gear !

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

We fished outside the gap and can confirm lots of short fish. We did manage to get plenty to eat and 3 slot fish. Biggest was a skinny 25”er.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks Gonzo, just starting to rouse in our cabin. I’m looking to head out to south shore or head up to the islands with the lower wind conditions that are forecasted. Mon and Tue will keep us tucked right in the river early these week.

grizzly
    nebraska

Talked to a guy yesterday that did very well at knights island

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Saturday we started in the river. There was plenty of chatter about all the small fish outside the gap and that the bigger fish were in the river. In my experience there wasn’t much difference. Caught plenty of short fish in both places.
    The good news is that we caught plenty of eaters and enough slot fish to keep things interesting.
    We actually had our best luck outside of Morris Point Gap. The action heated up later in the day and the average size seemed better as the day went on.
    Ended the day with a 1/2 hour battle with a sturgeon. I’ll try to post a pic later when I get some time.

iceman88

Following, as I will be in the area later this week.

Greg Perz

How long does this fall bite usually go? The wife half jokingly said we should go to the Rainey River next weekend and now I’m going to try to make that happen.

Any info helps. I’ve never fished the Rainey and I have never fished LOTW in the fall.

Thanks!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone been up fishing this week? We are headed up Friday for the weekend. With everyone packing it in for the season it only makes sence to grab the boat and head north.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.