LOW Basin Mortality

• shefland
    Walker

We all know about the summer basin bite on LOW 28′ to 32′ basically. We know about the chance of survival for fish being pulled from the depths is usually not good, never seen any floaters up there, anybody else have some good evidence of fish survival on LOW?

Pauleye
    Onamia

I was out for three days in early August and didn’t see any.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

LOW fish usually release well but there is also a good population of Pelicans too. I’ve seen them put down fish up to 26”.

CaptainMusky

LOW fish usually release well but there is also a good population of Pelicans too. I’ve seen them put down fish up to 26”.

Yeah its crazy the size of fish they can cram down their throat. The Gulls are no slouch either!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A little off topic. I know at the Bass event this last weekend they were catching lots of SM out of deeper water 35-45 Ft. They brought a expert in the day prior to the event to show the fishermen how to Fizz a fish correctly. From what I heard from someone at the event they had very few dead fish or fish they think probably would not survive. Not sure how much difference there is between SM bass and Walleye when caught out of deeper water. I know if I planned to catch either out of deep water I’d take the time to learn how to fizz the correctly and get the proper equipment needed to do so.
    Another side note – Watching the fisherman taking 5-10 minute to fight those 4 Lb. SM on light spinning gear was a blast. Its incredible how powerful those fish are.
    The St. Lawrence River is now on my Bucket list !!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.