LOTW Trip Next Week

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Heading up with a buddy late next week for 3 days fishing. I’ve fished the lake open water once in my life so looking for a few pointers. I’m assuming fish will be in transition and a whole bunch of tactics will work. It would be great to get on a shallower bite if it still exists. Long term forecast looks good with clear skies and low winds.

We’ll be fishing out of Sportsmans on the South side but I’ll have my Ranger so we can run as needed. Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Also, good bait shops to stop in on the way up for reports or links to good reports (they seem a but scarce).

Thanks all!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Better get in Facebook I guess!

David Blais

Matt
    We will also be fishing out of sportsman’s. Tuesday-Saturday.

We have always had good luck with the information from Log cabin Bait. There is a liquor store right next to it.

Is your plan to jig or troll?

Brad Dimond

Log Cabin Bait is great. I’ve only been there for hard water but they are always helpful with information, tackle and bait. There may also have been a few supply runs to their liquor store mid trip.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

We were up there last year same time if its nice out I would go up to the Islands. If not anchor right outside of the gap and you should catch all sorts of fish on jig and frozen shiner. Last year we had best luck in 26-28 fow. Good Luck and like everybody else said stop in and see Kyle at log cabin bait. He would love to meet all your needs from gas to booze!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for the info guys – we’ll stop in there and do some checking.

I’d prefer to troll but I don’t want to use leadcore if they are deep. If they are in 20+ we’ll likely jig. I’ve got some big HJ’s and deep divers that I’ll likely give a run on long lines.

@David
    Blais……PM me your number. We’re getting up Thursday and heading home Monday.

Do the fish ever move shallow if it’s windy on points or islands? I’d love to get on some wind blown areas and pitch cranks.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Did pretty well but had to come home early due to the protests since we live in south Minneapolis.

Ran up to the islands when the wind permitted. Mainly jigging in water from 12 to 30’. Also got some up shallow in the mouth of the river when the wind was cranking Friday. Jigs and throwing cranks. When I started pitching the crank bait other boats looked at me like I was an alien. I don’t think that’s a prevalent tactic up there.

Pulled this 27” on the second cast.!

Attachments:
    1. 91E5E1A2-8171-490C-BFAE-16A206380F8F.jpeg

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Id say last year when we started pulling lead core out of 100-150 boats we were only ones doing that as well. Sound like you had a good trip.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Matt, Thanks for the report and nice fish. Yeah, you don’t see many casting crankbaits up there.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Matt, Thanks for the report and nice fish. Yeah, you don’t see many casting crankbaits up there.

We just happened to be in a spot conducive to it….sitting in a 15′ hole with 7 to 8′ all around us. Jigging is fine but having a big fish t-bone a jointed shad rap is much better.

With the wind I would think trolling the windblown shorelines early and late day could be productive. We were going to give that a try but having to come home early ended that chance. Next time…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.