LOTW Ice/Fish Report

• Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Looking for a report from someone that has been up recently. Planning on going out of Morris or Cyrus tomorrow but have not heard much.

Karry Kyllo

My wife and I fished on the end of the Cyrus road last Saturday. The road went out to about 3 miles or so and we fished in somewhere around 31 feet. The ice is really good and although I never measured it I’m guessing it was around 20 inches thick.

We caught plenty of fish but nothing of much size. We kept all saugers and didn’t keep any walleyes because everyone we caught was small.

We only fished about 4 hours because we wanted to get home and beat the storm, and we had some slow periods throughout the time we were there where we didn’t mark any fish but it was never very long before another school moved through and we’d catch a few more.

What was working for us on that day was white glow #4 Rippin Raps and #5 white glow Slab Raps, both tipped with minnow heads on our jigging rods and pink/white jigs tipped with fatheads on our dead rods.

We also caught a nice bonus eelpout and some tulibee.

It was alot of fun.

Justin riegel

I have buddy fishing in 31 feet out from pine island and they only got 9 yesterday for a halfday of fishing. nothing was bigger then 14 inches.

Charlie W

Thanks guys. I will report back when I’m back.

Charlie W

We caught 40 walleyes/saugers today between 3 guys. Kept our fish, 14-18”ers. Fished 3 spots with the second producing nearly all of our fish.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have a friend that’s up there now. Says there’s millions of sleepers out there. Wifey told me red lake fishhouse rentals mivex there operations up there too

Charlie W

There is a LOT of sleepers out there and a lot more arriving today as we drove back. I think the lake will get more pressure this year than ever if they don’t get much more snow.

Karry Kyllo

We caught 40 walleyes/saugers today between 3 guys. Kept our fish, 14-18”ers. Fished 3 spots with the second producing nearly all of our fish.

What was working best for you?

Charlie W

50/50 spoons and dead sticks. We caught fish on every spoon we dropped down but flutter spoons seemed a little better than rattle spoons.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m sitting about 9 miles from Pine Island right now. Been up here since Sunday. Been kinda slow for us by LOW standards. About 6 to 1 saugers to eyes with nothing over 17″. We moved yesterday and this morning has been a little better but still on the small side. It snowed overnight, maybe a change in weather will spark things up. We’re gonna stay until we’re out of propane!
    Gold and pink ants with a whole fathead have been doing well along with the usuall suspects. Were in 31 ft, the first spot was 27. Getting around has been easy as there’s not a lot of snow. I’m using my 40v strikemaster for the first time and really like it! Its slick having reverse when drilling in the shack, however I’m about 2″ away from needing an extension when drilling through the floor.

Ann just caught a 21 incher! Looks like a great white shark after all 14 inchers! Hopefully the worm is turning.

I’ll update as the time goes by!

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Went up to springsteel with a buddy a couple weeks ago, he went back up last week again. When I was there with him it was pretty slow, a bunch of little sauger and walleye, one nice 24″ and some big burbot. This last time when he went it was just the little sauger and walleye. One 17″ sauger but other than that no size at all

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Had to run in and get gas for the generator and picked up some frozen shiners. We’re doing much better now! Three doubles since switching.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Anyone been up lately? Hopefully the stable weather is helping. Taking my son in law and his dad on Friday.

I feel for the resort owners on Red having to watch thousands of dollars drive by.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Granted I’m used to better fishing than lotw so I’ll just say our trip was average for lotw.
    We were out of wheeler’s the 16th.

Attachments:
    1. 20200117_111035.jpg

2. IMG_20200117_124943068.jpg

3. Resized_20200116_143215.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Few More. They’re were 14 of us.
    No problem keeping beer cold that weekend.

Some guys haa a little fun with the facial hair while the wives were away rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20200118_112508.jpg

2. IMG_20200118_134004.jpg

3. IMG_20200118_095606551.jpg

toddrun

I was up to LOW the 17th-20th, and the weather sucked, probably the worst possible scenario for Walleye fishing. But it is LOW, and we still caught fish, caught more than I expected. That is why LOW is such a special fishing resource.

Took a bit to figure out what the fish wanted, and it changed frequently even throughout the day, but there was willing biters.

I will say it was not as good as usual, but was still good compared to other lakes.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I was up last Friday afternoon to Sunday, worst couple of days ever on LOTW.
    Was in a buddies wheelhouse along with 2 other wheelhouses, in 30′ out of Morris Point. 7 guys, and a total of 9 saugers and 2 walleyes the whole time there.
    My two buddies went into the resort for dinner Saturday night and said everyone they talked to was struggling.
    Oh well, this was the maiden run for my buddies “new-to-him” wheelhouse and it survived so that was worth it. Lucky we were there with the other 2 houses tho as he forgot blocking, an extension cord, and forgot to fill up the two propane tanks on the house. Oh, and the generator was still new in the box when we unloaded the truck on the lake LOL. Thank god he brought oil for it (tho he did forget to fill the gas can for it, had to run back to shore to fill it lol )

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I got up again this past weekend. Adrian’s road is out 21.5 miles from the island. We drove 18, about an hours drive.
    We actually had a fairly decent night bite with better quality fish than during the day. Anyone else notice that? First time I’ve caught a walleye after dark there.
    Overall we caught a lot of fish with the majority being small. This was the first time up there for my son in law and his dad so they really enjoyed the steady action the lake provides.
    I’m heading back up on Thursday but am thinking of trying a different area. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Have only gone through Adrian’s this year.

Attachments:
    1. 20200131_211643.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m heading back up on Thursday but am thinking of trying a different area. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Have only gone through Adrian’s this year.

Don’t you have a job?!?! rotflol I’ve used Cyrus’ road in years past and it’s a little less busy, and also caught my biggest eye thru the ice there 27.5″er after dark.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

Don’t you have a job?!?! rotflol I’ve used Cyrus’ road in years past and it’s a little less busy, and also caught my biggest eye thru the ice there 27.5″er after dark.

What’s a job? Some kind of new lure?
    Thanks! I’ll give it a shot.
    Side note- conditions are pretty good up here, Mr. Werm!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Heard a decent report from a local guy who was out of Zippel Bay in 37′. Not sure how far out on their road that is.
    Adrians must be all the way to just south of Garden then, guessing just off the Starren shoal area. That is a haul on an ice road.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What’s a job? Some kind of new lure?
    Thanks! I’ll give it a shot.
    Side note- conditions are pretty good up here, Mr. Werm!

Something like that, I usually am at the J-O-B for a few dozen lure’s every day lol. I’ll be up there in 11 days (not that I’m counting), how thick is the ice? Need an extension yet? We are renting sleepers thru LOTW Sleeper, which look to be pretty nice so not sure how much exploring we will do w/ TV and the whole works.

Andrew Hubbard

The frozen shiner is LOTW best kept secret but you have to know how to hook them so they don’t fall off.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.