Lopsided Buck

• jake47
    WI

I sure wish this ones left side matched his right. Really can’t believe how the left is massive and the right is spindly as all get out. Have any of you seen one this unbalanced before?

Attachments:
    1. MFDC2353.jpg

2. MFDC2352.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

It looks like he may have some kind of injury high on his front left should, that would explain why his left side is weaker. That white tuffed of hair on top left side is odd.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a rack in the garage from a large buck that’s typical whitetail on one side and a nice muley on the other. When I fleshed out the skull cap I found the 1″ tip of a broken off antler stuck in the skull right below where the antler grow each year on the side of the deer with the muley antler. This was an 8 year old deer according to the teeth taken by the dnr. Shot in 1974.

sticker

This is a buck I shot 3 years ago with my bow. My son had hit it with his bow the year before, but the arrow hit a limb and went into the back right leg of the deer. I found the damaged area from the hit the year before when I carved the deer. I have hear injury to the front leg causes weird antler growth on the same side the following years and injury to the back leg causes weird antler growth on the opposite side the following years.

Attachments:
    1. righty.jpg

jake47
    WI

It looks like he may have some kind of injury high on his front left should, that would explain why his left side is weaker. That white tuffed of hair on top left side is odd.

Yeah I was sort of thinking this as well. I have pictures from the other side, but it looks like the injury is confined to the top of his back. Either way, I will be attempting to get him in bow range during the late season.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Its an arguable point, but I believe genetics can also contribute to this. I see some “defects” that are passed down for multiple generations of bucks with weird traits

sticker

Its an arguable point, but I believe genetics can also contribute to this. I see some “defects” that are passed down for multiple generations of bucks with weird traits

I agree 100% Randy! Just seeing that possible wound made me think maybe that was one possibility.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

I agree 100% Randy! Just seeing that possible wound made me think maybe that was one possibility.

I agree injuries are also a cause. Fun part about spying on mother nature. Sometimes we get the element of surprise

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.