Loose throttle/gear shifter on bass Hawk

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Hello. I have a 1850 Bass Hawk. Boat has been great. The throttle is mounted on a black plate that is secured to the side of the boat by 4 long screws. At first, I noticed one of them was stripped. Now only one of them is snug. The other three just spin once I try to tighten them down. Has anyone had this happen? It seems to work fine. The throttle does have a little side-to-side play. Ive taken things apart and not been able to put them back together. I doubt it’s as easy as buying longer screws. What do you think? Thanks. It’s a Merc 150 4s.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Could you move up a size in diameter? Put some marine silicone adhesive in the holes also maybe?

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Good idea. Worth a try.

munchy
    NULL

Any chance they are thru holes and can change out the screws for long machine screws and nylock nuts?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Any chance they are thru holes and can change out the screws for long machine screws and nylock nuts?

X2!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks for the tips. Makes sense.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Ok. Hate to admit it. What exactly does ‘thru hole’ mean vs a regular screw. Sorry to be naive.

munchy
    NULL

Ok. Hate to admit it. What exactly does ‘thru hole’ mean vs a regular screw. Sorry to be naive.

Screw holes that go all the way through the bracket and throttle case. There may be a cover to take off to access the backside if there is no visible hole completely through the casing. Sometimes the holes may not be completely
    cast through but a drill bit will open them up easily.

Then find stainless steel machine screws and nylock nuts and washers that are of appropriate diameter (likely #12-24 or 1/4-20 screw size) and length and bolt everything together.

Post some pictures of what you have and we may be able to give you a bit more advise.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks. I need to learn how to post pics. I’ll work on it. Thanks

MnPat1

Fill the hole with 5 minute epoxy and then drill a pilot hole with a drill bit. You can use tape to hold epoxy in place and keep from making a mess. Make sure the screws have enough length.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks. The screws are 1 1/2 in. My trim switch was not working very well when I tried to move the motor down. After I snugged things up, it works fine. I’m a little gun shy about removing all the screws and leaning the throttle out to see inside. Would using 2 in screws In the original holes do the trick if I don’t want to pull the throttle out of the way. I appreciate the help.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Do these screws go all the way through the controls and into the side of the boat? If so there should be a access panel to remove and get your hand / wrench up and behind.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Took it to the dealer to winterize. I mentioned the loose throttle and that the tilt/trim switch was working erratically. They winterized it, but there is no controller now. They are going to swap it out for a new one. It’s a 2018. Should be under warranty. The dealer told me he would get it registered. I called Merc. They have no info on my motor being registered for warranty purposes. Should be interesting. I stopped last week to see if the controller has shown up yet. It hadn’t. I will stop in every 2 weeks until it’s in. I realize open water is always off, but I like things right.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.