Loon Party

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Loons are typically quite territorial, and at least on smaller lakes, it is rare to see more than one adult pair.

Several years ago, we witnessed a group of 10-12 adult loons swimming together, diving, chasing, and making a racket. After some research, it seems that these “loon parties” happen from time to time.

This past weekend, wwe were reminiscing about the loon party that we’d witnessed. The next morning, we took the boat out, and like they overheard our discussion, we witnessed another loon party. This one was only 6 loons, but similar to last time, they swam around together, dove, chased each other, and made a lot of noise. Lot’s of chest thumping! We trailed behind them for a while enjoying the spectacle. It was awesome.

Has anyone else witnessed this behaviour?

I wish I had better pics, but I was limited to a smartphone camera, and I didn’t want to get too close to them.

Attachments:
    1. 20220710_104037-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20220710_104037-scaled.jpg

3. 20220710_103915-scaled.jpg

Deuces

Super cool, I did not know this

Sharon
    SE Metro

That is super cool!! I would love to see that in person, but I never have.

ThunderLund78

Yup, saw a group of 5 on our lake this last week. Most I’ve ever seen is 11. We have a loon coffee table book by Stan Tekiela. There’s a few theories… hunting parties, bachelor loons with no hens or chicks. Or just ways that loon society works out it’s issues – IE tribal elders discussion. Such cool animals!

Interesting fact: a group of loons is called an asylum.

Dan
    Southeast MN

That’s awesome. Tough sometimes to get good pictures with a rocking boat and having to zoom in.

Living in the southern part of the state, hearing and seeing loons is one of the many things I look forward to going up north for.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I’m not sure where I have the pictures, but we saw a group of 50-100 loons congregated in the middle of the lake on one of our Canada fly-in trips. This was in August, and someone said that they may have been gathering up to migrate.

CaptainMusky

I wonder if these are younger loons that havent started breeding yet? Are they all males while females tend to the chicks? It certainly is interesting and I can imagine how much noise they make.
    When I was in High School, we had a cabin and our lake was one of the first to start opening up since a creek flowed into it. One Spring there was only about 10 acres of open water, but the loons had started migrating and there were like 100 of them in that open water. At night they were so loud we couldnt sleep.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I saw 2 loon parties of 5 on Belle Taine over the 4th, and another one on Rainy last weekend as well. Belle Taine has to have at least 2 dozen loons, and it’s about a 1600 acre lake. It’s to the point my Dad doesn’t like them anymore bc they live on the lake and if they leave the windows open have a 4 am wake up call almost every morning. rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s to the point my Dad doesn’t like them anymore bc they live on the lake and if they leave the windows open have a 4 am wake up call almost every morning.

For sure. I prefer them between the hours of 7:00 am and 10:00 pm. rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No but last weekend I saw a moron in a pontoon drive right over one not paying attention. I wanted to $&#% that idiot.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I wanted to $&#% that idiot.

Lol I can’t for the life of my figure out what word you’re trying to censor out there…if it’s one of the few words that would need censoring, then I have questions.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Every fall on Roosie they stage for migration, easy 100+ Loons out there.
    At nightfall when they start singing it is Heavenly.

Seems the adults take off early and leave the youngin’s. I’m not sure how they make it to their winter destination, but they do.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I thought this was going to be a thread about hanging out with IowaBoy. He can get a little looney and you will leave with your belly hurting from laughing.

I never knew that they did this. That had to be some fun watching them.

CaptainMusky

I thought this was going to be a thread about hanging out with IowaBoy.

Or “Loon Party” could be the name for the IDO Get Together.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I was just thinking that! 🤣😜🤣

ThunderLund78

Two other loon stories from last week at the lake…

1. Saw a guy giving his daughters a ride on a jet ski and drive right between two loons who were about 8-10 ft apart, one of them with baby in-tow. No way he didn’t see them, I think he thought it would be entertaining for his kids to go between them. Both loons scurried in opposite directions and baby was confused and disoriented. Terrible decision and bad example to set for your kids.

2. Somehow a loon got injured, probably a boat strike, in front of our cabin. It obviously had a bum wing and was flopping around in the water. I’ve seen healthy loons do similar things but this went on for a long time. A pontoon pulls up and I can hear the do-gooders on board yelling “Oh no, It’s hurt we have to do something!” One girl grabs a couple swim noodles, jumps in the water and attempts to approach it. At the same time, three kayakers from a nearby cabin also paddle out, one of them with a fishing net. Now I’m certain it was hurt because all the loon did was attempt to swim away or dive and swim a short distance below the surface and pop back up a short distance away. I think it was exhausted and very physically limited. They never caught it and all I could think was they’re lucky they didn’t. Any cornered/injured wild animal is dangerous but Loons are downright mean and aggressive. They will fight before fleeing if able. Like a goose but with a dagger for a bill! I witness several attacks on our lake and have come pretty close myself when in my kayak. Usually it’s just posturing and they’ll back down if you retreat, but a swimmer could really get mauled – no idea what the girl was thinking, like it was going to swim into her loving arms and snuggle? Eventually they gave up as it evaded capture but I don’t think it had energy to take a run at them. Not sure what became of the loon. Sucks to see but you gotta let nature take it’s course. At least call the DNR first, but I’m guessing they’d say the same thing.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    I thought this was going to be a thread about hanging out with IowaBoy.

I stand corrected. This would be more accurate.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    I wanted to $&#% that idiot.

Lol I can’t for the life of my figure out what word you’re trying to censor out there…if it’s one of the few words that would need censoring, then I have questions.

jester You made me laugh. Your right that made no sense. Lets just say I was mad at the guy.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I live south of the east end of Lake Minnetonka. The loons fly over my neighborhood regularly coming and going from Minnetonka to ?? When coming from the lake they are heading east. I saw one on Minnetonka last April in a 2-4 foot muck bay. Must have chasing minnows.
    2 years ago I saw a Loon party of 12 on the largest part of Minnetonka. Adults and juvies mixed together.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.