Looking for Walleye advice on Ceder Lake (C&R only)

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m a somewhat new cabin owner on Cedar (I rarely get a chance to fish with 2 young ones demanding most of my time) and would like some help in locating spots and presentations for the big Walleyes in Cedar lake. I only fish Catch & Release so whatever I do catch, goes back in the lake. Any help would be much appreciated! You can send me a PM if you want to keep the info on the down-low…

I’m more than happy to share what little info I know of the lakes good spots I’ve found sofar )

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Joe,
    I wish I could help you! You are a very helpful person on the forums. Cedar is the little lake dew east of hunter, correct?

JoeMX1825
    MN

no, it’s a large 1,700 acre lake just west of Aitkin off 210

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Cedar lake is a tough lake to fish walleye. Per the DNR though, it contains some pigs. Early season is about all I could give some very slight pointers to as I haven’t fished there in a loooong time and usually it was around opener.

Sending PM though my one spot isn’t anything special and probably you know about.

dbright
    Cambridge

I know some guys that have musky fished it for years and have ran into plenty of big walleyes while fishing for muskies.

Zander Nordby
    Inactive

From what I’ve heard (very little expedience out on Cedar, fished it once when my brother was looking at buying a place on it) you can consistently catch walleyes trolling out deep. It’s one of those lakes where you really need a decent graph to catch fish because you’re looking for walleyes chasing tulibee out deep (very deep lake). My understanding is that this is what the muskie guys that fish it are also doing and I’ve heard reports of guys catching fish down in almost fifty feet of water. I’m not sure how much validity there is to these reports because it’d seem pretty likely a fish taken from that deep is going to be a dead one…unless you bring it up really, really slow.

I fished a new lake on Labor Day weekend that my gal’s family cabin is on and was able to get some walleyes due to having a decent graph with the settings dialed in. It was very easy to see on the down scan a very strong thermocline at 22′-23′ and walleyes suspended right at. This lake was similar to Cedar in a lot of ways—1500 acres and deep; deepest hole over 80′ and a lot of the lake 60’+. The walleye counts are similar in numbers as well and age structure with the majority of the fish over 20.” Her family had never caught a walleye there but they’ve always targeted weedlines.

By no means did I light them up and I felt pretty good about catching three over the weekend, all nice fish, but my catch rate per hour was not good. Let me put it this way…if you’re lucky to fish a couple hours in the evening due to the kiddos and Cedar is similar, you might have got one over the long weekend. Essentially you’re kind of whale hunting. Besides early and late in the year when the water temps bring them in more to structure maybe, will you catch them in numbers if you time it just right.

Again, I don’t know much about Cedar but if I were you I would be looking for them out deep either hugging the thermocline or chasing clouds of tulibee on Cedar trilling crankbaits behind leadcore. In my opinion that’s your best bet at consistently catching fish (by covering water) in a lake that deep and with low density walleye counts.

JoeMX1825
    MN

good info, much appreciated!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.