Looking For Some Advice

• jake47
    WI

My wife took a call from neighbor (1) today who heard from neighbor (2) that I am going to be hunting on my 10 acres this year. Neighbor 1 indicated that her grandkids will be around for a few days around thanksgiving and she would like to know exactly what days and times I will be out hunting. I share a property corner with neighbor 1 and a fenceline with neighbor 2. Neighbor 1’s grandkids will be out on their trails that lead down to neighbor 2’s property.

My first thought was just to ignore it, but I don’t feel like this is the neighborly thing to do. At this point, I don’t know if or when I will be hunting on the days that her grandkids will be over.

So my thought is to call her, let her know that I am aware that there will be kids in the area those days. I am also going to establish that I will not be setting a precedent that I have to communicate to her when I will be out hunting. I will also let her know that regardless of if I am hunting, her grandkids absolutely must be dressed in blaze orange and that they should avoid playing near the neighboring properties during low-light conditions. I also plan to tell her that if I were to hit something that runs into their property, I will absolutely be calling to request permission to look for it.

Any thoughts on a better way to approach this? They share property lines with at least 1 other place that has hunters on it and I doubt they are telling her when they are out, but maybe that is something worth asking.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Asking them to wear blaze orange when they go out and not be out where there are hunters at dusk/dark seems like a good approach.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would not communicate ANYTHING to these people. You’re legally hunting whenever and wherever on your property you want. End of story.

Obviously, these people have it in their head that hunters and hunting are “dangerous”. Requesting that the kids wear blaze orange only plays into this “dangerous hunter” narrative by implying that you’ll be out there mowing down anything that isn’t painted a neon color. Bad idea IMO. The kids could be out there wearing brown coveralls, they’d still be 100% safe the way I and 99.9999585% of hunters hunt.

If you choose to respond to this, you’re setting a precedent by A) reinforcing their view that there is something “dangerous” about having someone hunting next door, and B) that they have some kind of right to know what and when you pursue legal activities on your property. Neither of these is a good thing.

Greet this one with a frosty silence. IMO playing into this is will only feed their sense that hunting is dangerous and that they have some right to know what you’re doing on your property. Next they’ll want you to be calling them every time you go out, and when you come back, and when you’re spraying weeds…

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

she would like to know exactly what days and times I will be out hunting.

If this is actually how it sounds, I totally agree with grouse. If she is reallyworried about the kids being out there, than she shouldn’t let them out there until the season is over. End of story.

If they come to your door and ask, just tell them to assume you’ll be out all the time.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would speak to them and let them know it is your property and you have a right to hunt it but you hear her concerns. Ask that the kids wear bright colors when outside and only play during daylight hours just be a nice neighbor.
    Problem is if you tag a deer of a life time and it goes onto there land if you had not this conversation you may be screwed when they tell you no way. Just be human and understand there concerns and let them know you know and let it be.

Smellson

Seems advantagious to me that you let her know when you plan to be out? I guess I don’t see why it’s such a big deal to give her a heads-up. Keeps the kids from running around the trails around you spooking deer and gives her peace of kind. I guess I’ve seen enough stupid stuff out in the woods that I’d probably try to avoid having my kids running around while people are out hunting. Seems like a win win to me…..

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

It’s seems odd to me she is making one small request to let her know dates and times, that you want to ignor, but you are requesting them to wear orange, stay away from property lines in low light conditions, and expect a call to get deer off her property?

I’m Trying to decide “which” neighbor is the difficult one. LOL

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If you currently get along with them I would try and accommodate their request. It is always better to get along with your neighbors. If they expect the heads up every time you go to the woods to hunt, I would push back the next time they ask.

jake47
    WI

Obviously, these people have it in their head that hunters and hunting are “dangerous”. Requesting that the kids wear blaze orange only plays into this “dangerous hunter” narrative by implying that you’ll be out there mowing down anything that isn’t painted a neon color. Bad idea IMO. The kids could be out there wearing brown coveralls, they’d still be 100% safe the way I and 99.9999585% of hunters hunt.

Good point.

It’s seems odd to me she is making one small request to let her know dates and times, that you want to ignor, but you are requesting them to wear orange, stay away from property lines in low light conditions, and expect a call to get deer off her property?

I’m Trying to decide “which” neighbor is the difficult one. LOL

Also, valid points. I don’t want to ignore the request, but I am not going to give the times that I will be out there as I don’t want this to be the new normal.

The blaze comment was simply a word of caution for someone who is not from the area and may not have any experience with deer hunting. I hear how the property line comment sounded to you so I’m glad I asked.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d be neighborly and just let her know you aren’t sure when you’ll be hunting, but as long as her kids stay on their property there won’t be a problem, maybe have them wear orange to be extra safe. As nicely as possible. With 10 acres there’s a good chance eventually you will need to track on their land and also don’t want them to start running chainsaws or otherwise interfering with you during hunting season. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar approach usually works best in my experience.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Safety knowing they are around and them knowing you are hunting is better for both.

They should have orange on if living in areas gun hunting is allowed anyways. I know almost all my land owners do not step outside without it on kids or pets. Just a precaution and should be done for both sides.

On times of hunting just letting them know you will be hunting during the weekend or week should be enough and they know that chances are you are out there. If you fill tags and finish hunting. I would let them know also. Helps to work together for something that is not a big issue like this.

jake47
    WI

I’d be neighborly and just let her know you aren’t sure when you’ll be hunting, but as long as her kids stay on their property there won’t be a problem, maybe have them wear orange to be extra safe. As nicely as possible. With 10 acres there’s a good chance eventually you will need to track on their land and also don’t want them to start running chainsaws or otherwise interfering with you during hunting season. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar approach usually works best in my experience.

This is where I am at. They are also friends with neighboring landowners that I could potentially need to ask for permission to look for a deer or look to hunt their land in the future. If they run chainsaws that’s their right and prerogative though so I am not worried about that.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jake47 wrote:</div>
    she would like to know exactly what days and times I will be out hunting.

If this is actually how it sounds, I totally agree with grouse. If she is reallyworried about the kids being out there, than she shouldn’t let them out there until the season is over. End of story.

If they come to your door and ask, just tell them to assume you’ll be out all the time.

Agree 100% with biggill on this one! Exactly what day and time is a little invasive to me. What if you change your mind.

Honestly even if I got along great with my neighbor I wouldn’t tell them that. Kind of pisses me off that she even asked.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Kind of pisses me off that she even asked.
    [/quote]

Better that some kid dies because 2 adults couldn’t have a civil conversation,,,,

Unbelievable. HRG

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Better that some kid dies because 2 adults couldn’t have a civil conversation,,,,

Unbelievable. HRG

So you are assuming if they do not talk that Jake will shoot a kid? isn’t that a little too far?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t see anything unreasonable about the request.

How hard is it to pick up the phone and call the neighbor Friday and say “I’ll be in the stand from 7 am to around 10 and then back out from 4 until dark.”

I don’t see anything hard or wrong with that. It’s called being neighborly.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Unbelievable. HRG

So you are assuming if they do not talk that Jake will shoot a kid? isn’t that a little too far?

I never said that. My opinion is that the risk could be further reduced by the adults having a conversation. Jake is entitled to hunt his land, the kids are entitled to play in their grandparents yard.

HRG

basseyes

I am also going to establish that I will not be setting a precedent that I have to communicate to her when I will be out hunting. I will also let her know that regardless of if I am hunting, her grandkids absolutely must be dressed in blaze orange and that they should avoid playing near the neighboring properties during low-light conditions. I also plan to tell her that if I were to hit something that runs into their property, I will absolutely be calling to request permission to look for it.

Any thoughts on a better way to approach this?

Remember you asked for a better way to approach this.

You have a lot of demands for her, but feel hers are out of line?

If you retorted that back to my neighbors after their simple request, there’s no chance in heck my neighbors would let you pursue a wounded animal.

Keep your head and remember it’s a grandma concerned for the safety and well being of her grandchildren. Whether you or I agree with that level of concern, it is one of hers. Respect her concerns and talk to her about it in a calm, empathetical, level headed demeanor. Don’t let the frustration or emotions of her seemingly trying to tell you when to hunt or when not hunt dictate your response to her. You represent hunters and she’s your neighbor 365 days a year. I wouldn’t let hunting ruin my relationships and friendships I have with my neighbors. Still wouldn’t totally let them dictate when I hunted, but I’d have an open ear to their concerns and not try to be dictating how they can or can’t use their property right back to them.
    It comes across hypocritical. That’s a recipe for major confrontation and hard feelings, that might never get resolved.

Good luck with it and hope it works out for both parties involved.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I asked a guy this weekend how he non-fatally wounded so many deer this year. (I am sure some of these were fatally wounded)

He replied, “I take shots most guys wouldn’t take.” In a proud voice.

You never know who is in the woods…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

Unbelievable. HRG

I never said that. My opinion is that the risk could be further reduced by the adults having a conversation. Jake is entitled to hunt his land, the kids are entitled to play in their grandparents yard.

HRG

That problem can simply be solved by NOT SHOOTING A KID. The first thing they teach you when hunting is to verify your target. A deer does not represent a child and there should be no mistaking one for the other.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

that guy wounding animals (and proud of doing it) should get gut-shot himself, cause he’s a pos.

What caliber would you use?

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Maybe the neighbor is being neighborly and wanting to keep the kids out of the woods so as not to disturb the hunt?

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Maybe the neighbor is being neighborly and letting you know the grand kids are going to be over and hunting so she is just giving you a heads up. I would call and let her know you plan on hunting the entire season. You could also mention that if the kids do hit a deer if hunting and it comes on your land you would be available to help look for it just to please call in advance.

craig s

What is wrong with people these days??
    Times and dates you’ll be hunting ON YOUR LAND? Lol !!
    It’s your property. Maybe just let her know you can tell the difference between a deer and a child…

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I don’t see the big deal. Her request was not to let her know when you where hunting at all times, as I read your post only when are you hunting around thanksgiving as she will have company and kids running around. Does not seem that intrusive to me.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.