Looking for recipes for fried foods

• jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

My family is going to have a gathering where most of the menu is fried foods. Main course is fried fish. But after that the menu is wide open. Was wondering what fried recipes you members have used. Any recipes you have for fried meats, veggies, desserts or any other items please share.

Thanks,
    Jeff

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Fried oreos sure are a great treat that I indulge into once a year or so. Mix up some pancake batter, dip the oreo in it, fry it up to golden brown. When you do a big fry party like yours, you can get pretty creative and fry up anything you want really.

One other thing that we’ve done a few times during fish fries is frying up potatoes. Use a mandolin to cut them up into very thin pieces, fry them with a few onions mixed in, and you’ve got some warm fresh potato chips. Put whatever seasoning on that you’d like when finished.

zooks

It’s listed for veggies but you can fry anything in with a batter like this, just sub in a light beer for the water for some fizz. Green beans, broccoli, zucchini, summer squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, bell peppers, you get the idea. Great with cheese curds too.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015259-vegetable-tempura

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yeah, make a savory beer batter and a sweet pancake one. And you can fry up whatever you want to put in them. Onions/veggies in the savory, Oreo/desert in the pancake (you can also do hot dogs in the pancake for Pronto Pups) and you are good to go with minimal extra work. Double fry your potatoes for the best French fries imo.

Iowaboy1

if you like tacos and want a tasty soft shell for them:
    go buy a bag of frozen dinner roll dough balls,
    thaw them out and roll them into about a five inch diameter ‘pancake’
    take two of them and place one on top of the other pinching the seams together about three fourths of the way around.

fill this pocket about half up with well drained taco meat,using toothpicks pin the rest of the seam together and deep fry until the dough is golden brown.
    once out of the fryer,remove the toothpicks and finish filling the pocket with lettuce,cheese,tomato,sour cream,and what ever else you like on a conventional taco.

you will be surprised at how much the dough swells when its fried up!
    the fried dough doesnt taste anything like you would think,darn tasty!
    hope you give it a try and enjoy it!!

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

If you want something different make up a tempura batter and fry any veggie/mushrooms you want. Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce to dip. Tempura is much lighter then conventional beer batters. I guarantee it will be a big favorite.

Iowaboy1

like fried chicken??
    marinate drumsticks or quarters in buttermilk for twenty four hours.
    fill your fryer( preferably a large deep one ) with good old hog lard and bring to temp,375F.
    toss in a large sliced onion until its just getting crispy,(no batter on onion slices as you are using it to flavor the oil )and ( you can make onion sandwiches with the onion slices )

while the onion is frying drain the chicken and roll in a flour batter consisting of flour,salt,pepper,paprika and a touch of cayenne.
    fry until the chicken is done,usually it will float near the top of the oil when its done if you are using a deep enough pot to fry in.

riverruns
    Inactive

We are also doing a fish fry this weekend. Question about appetizers, Mozzarella sticks, onion rings, fast food French fries (the skinny ones). If I cooked that stuff up ahead of time and put in small roasters or crock pots. Would this stuff stay good and not get soggy? Keep in mind this stuff is being done in the oven. Only fish will be batter fried. I could deep Frie this stuff but it would make it so much easier having this stuff done ahead of time. Thanks.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

I would think if it sat in the roaster very long it it would absorb all the grease and taste like left overs but just my guess.

riverruns
    Inactive

But the fries and other appetizers I would just lay on cookie sheets and cook in the oven. After they are done cooking in the oven is there a good way to keep them warm and “fresh” without leaving them in the oven on a low setting? Thanks.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Try Zucchini and pickles

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I would think if it sat in the roaster very long it it would absorb all the grease and taste like left overs but just my guess.

Where would it get grease from? When fried food gets soggy its from the internal moisture soaking into the breading.

I think an oven or heat lamp is the only way to keep fried food tasting fresh for very long. It can’t be in an enclosed space like a roaster, they will get soggy I think. You could maybe try a roaster with no lid?

riverruns
    Inactive

Ya this is what I think I will try. I would think this should work, maybe leave a lid on half way?

You could maybe try a roaster with no lid?

Iowaboy1

what we do when we have a large fry of some sort is to line the roasters bottom with two layers of bread,roaster on warm and no lid as any moisture will collect on the bottom of the lid and drip back onto the food.

it helps a lot if the food is fried at the proper temperature and drained well before placing in the roaster,ie,leave it in a strainer basket for a minute or two.

it has been my experience that foods that turn out soggy are either fried at too low of a temperature or not fried long enough and remaining moisture will make it soggy.

riverruns
    Inactive

Ok. So my appetizers, French fries and cheese sticks, are only being cooked in the oven. No oil will ever touch them. Is there a way to keep them Krispy and warm too eat an hour after I take them out of the oven? Thanks. Shawn

chomps
    Sioux City IA

No

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.