Looking for a used truck

• Bryan Shelton

Hey guys, I have just began the process at looking at trucks. I will be going withbised since I can’t justify the prices for a new. I’m not really a stuck on a brand. All I need is 4×4 and four doors ( I have three kids)
    My question to all you truck owners is… what’s too many miles? Some of the used ones have 80,90,100k on them. Still with these miles they aren’t cheap. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bryan

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How many miles do you put on a year? I pile on 70,000 a year so I’m needing low mileage vehicles to begin with. Todays trucks will do 200,000 miles no problem, diesels should do 400,000 miles. If you only do 15,000 miles a year I would look for something late model with 90,000 miles or so. There will be lots of life left in the truck and you should save money going that route.

Be very careful, there will be a ton of water logged vehicles coming from the south.

Bryan Shelton

How many miles do you put on a year? I pile on 70,000 a year so I’m needing low mileage vehicles to begin with. Todays trucks will do 200,000 miles no problem, diesels should do 400,000 miles. If you only do 15,000 miles a year I would look for something late model with 90,000 miles or so. There will be lots of life left in the truck and you should save money going that route.

Be very careful, there will be a ton of water logged vehicles coming from the south.

I would probably put on 15-20k a year.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I Baught my ram 4-5 years ago with 120,000 miles on it had to put a bit into it over that time getting it running nice she has just over 200,000 on it now and still running top notch , no major issues other than mostly normal wear n tear , it can be a roll of the dice buying a used truck but I’d say go for it and if u find one u like ask if u can test drive it for a day and if u have an trusty mechanic bring it to him to have a look at it

Bryan Shelton

I Baught my ram 4-5 years ago with 120,000 miles on it had to put a bit into it over that time getting it running nice she has just over 200,000 on it now and still running top notch , no major issues other than mostly normal wear n tear , it can be a roll of the dice buying a used truck but I’d say go for it and if u find one u like ask if u can test drive it for a day and if u have an trusty mechanic bring it to him to have a look at it

Thank me for the advice.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I just turned in my ’15 RAM 1500 QC V6/8spd 4×4, 105K, and one of the other company fleet drivers is buying it for $14K, including the nearly $1K BakFlip cover,,,

Honestly, at 100K, it was just broken in.

HRG

A – Aron
    Red Wing

My old man has an 07 tundra with 315k miles on it looking to sell. All he has done is put tires, brakes, oil changes and a new starter in it. Has a ding in the both sides of the box.

Made several trips to ID, MT, CA, and Mexico. I made so much fun of him when he bought that “rice burner” thing has been nothing but bullet proof. Solid truck unreal what its done. Has gotten us off “BIG” frozen lakes in the winter. Pulled cattle, horses, and hay.

Possibly not the truck you want but keep an open mind.

I work in the Al industry.Honda and Toyota have crazy quality standards. Ford, GM and Chevy not so much…

As far as water logged vehicles go, I was in a salvage yard in NE last week and they are already that far North and being bought for resale.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Morel king is giving good advice. Take it to a good mechanic if you can before you buy. I used to put a lot of stock in miles on a vehicle. After buying more vehicles than I can count I learned that it’s only a number. How the vehicle was cared for is 90% of what matters. I would rather buy a truck well taken care of with 150k miles than a truck that was beaten to hell with 75k. Oh and if you find a truck you are interested in be sure to Google search for known issues. Consumer complaints can be very telling. Some model years had less problems than others and i always try to avoid the first year or two of a vehicle that just changed designs. Usually they are still working out the kinks. The whole broken spark plug issue with 2004-2008 F150s comes to mind. Good luck

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Depending on the age/height of your kids you might want to consider the cab space. I know that since my 2006 ram most models have way more space. The only reason I ever think of trading in is because I have to move the front seats up for the rear face child seats. Luckily, by the time I’m done waffling they will probably be out of seats.

404 ERROR
    MN

You will pay dearly for a 4-door pickup compared to other styles, but I can relate to needed them with kids. I ended up with a low mileage Ford (40k) and only put on maybe 5k a year as I only use it for play and pulling trailers. Like others said, newer gas trucks should last you into the 200,000 mile range before any major repair may be needed. But no matter what, it’s still a gamble.

When financing, you should take the mileage into account. If you are buying a truck on a 5 year loan with 150k on it and you put on 30K a year, you will end up having a truck with 300,000 miles once it’s paid off. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

Aaron Kalberer

I have bought all my pickups with 150k+ on them. I am young and still getting my feet underneath me, plus I do not daily drive my pickups. Anyone who is confident in what they are selling will let you drive the vehicle for a day or two to see if it is what you want. I get up to 230k miles before I have sold my gassers and my diesels I have run to 280k. I have sold them in great working order and only sold them because I got bored with them. I would not shy away from a 100k mile vehicle at all. A good look will tell you how it was treated. buy a clean well maintained vehicle. Cleanliness of cab and exterior says a lot about how the vehicle was cared for in my opinion.

jake47
    WI

We have a 2015 F150 4-door and also have 3 kids. I was blown away by how much space is in the backseat. I am able to get 3 carseats in there with plenty of room for the front seats to slide back. Wife wants a 4th so the truck may be going bye-bye though…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is absolutely no comparison between ford & Dodge for back seat space. Ford hands down win that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.