Looking for a lake to retire on.

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

FWIW, I did not see anything from Grouse’s post that made me think he was referencing the Dakotas. I figured it was a SE, South, or SW state but I would only know that since I have ESP. razz Other than wandering a bit off topic?…well I’ll get back on it.

The OP was looking to buy a lake cabin which presumably he would use year’round. For a decent one, that would not come cheap, at least not here in MN. And taxes and cost of living would be relative as well. That being said, there are options that would/could cost far less both purchase and property taxes. There are many off water cabins/homes that are on a nice property within a mile or two of public water access. I am referring to up north away from the TC metro.
    I was fortunate to have found an affordable condo/villa right on the lake that I am currently using as a recreational getaway that will also serve as my retirement home for most of the year. Just under 2 hours from the metro. Annual property tax is $360 a year and $100 monthly association dues pays for the garbage, grass cutting, snow removal, pool maintenance, etc.
    Snow…? Comes with the Northland, some years alot, other years…not so much.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

All I can say on the tax end is be aware that you get what you pay for.

My parents tried a “low tax state” and they quickly realized the reason the taxes are low is because everything is sh!t. Sh!tty roads, sh!tty parks, crappy government services, etc. Yes, we have taxes in MN and we can argue all day about what they get spent on, but at the end of the day the do buy stuff and some of that stuff is pretty awesome compared to what I see in other states. Yeah, we pay taxes for pro sports team stadiums, but at least we HAVE teams to go see.

And add on to that the fact that EVERYTHING ELSE is taxed in these “no tax” states. Yes, income and/or sales may not be taxed, but then my parent’s trash service cost $300 a month and half of that was tax. The money has to come from somewhere.

Know before you move.

Grouse

Right on TFG. I’ve said it before. All states HAVE to have tax money. One way or another they get it. WI is property tax hell. Iowa is sales tax and car registration fees. Some states brag about low taxes but check out what some of the fees for different things cost. In my mind a fee is the same as a tax.

Couldn’t agree more.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Move to Minnesota and buy a snowmobile. You won’t have to worry about getting any significant amount of snow.

rugs
    Hastings, MN

The winter I lived in MN it did! A wall of snow down the drive.

The snow intel I gathered on Oahe and Waubay didn’t look that bad. Pierre showed dryer than Webster.

Must have been a rare year. Those of us that snowmobile wish every winter here in MN was like that, but most years are FAR more moderate. The last 2 winters have sucked as far as snow totals (minimal). Barley snowed.

Seems like it is always super windy in SD and ND, so even moderate snow storms can turn into full fledged drifting blizzards. I would look at MN if I were you. ;)

grizzly
    nebraska

what taxes are high in MN? is it the property taxes or income taxes that are the worst or just everything that bad

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

MN is always in the top 10 worst states to retire in. High state tax. Tax on SS income. Property taxes will keep going up. Most counties are severly underfunded in pension funds.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.