Looking for a kitten for my kids

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m looking for a kitten for my kids. Ages 5 and 9 we have a dog but they love pets. I’ve been looking on CL but CL seems to be dying. I’m not on FB but my wife is but she says they don’t do pets on FB.

Anyone have a lead? Willing to drive

Sharon
    SE Metro

Feline Rescue Inc. is a nice local organization (St. Paul) and they have cats and kittens for adoption. Not sure what their wait list is for kittens.

If I hear of anyone personally looking to re-home any kittens I’ll let you know!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Petfinder is an aggregator site that lists animals from multiple shelters.

https://www.petfinder.com/search/cats-for-adoption/us/mn/minneapolis/

IMO you might consider grown cats as well if you want to adopt soon. Adoptions are at an all-time high which is a good thing, but kittens are the most in-demand.

Also make sure you get a kitten that is well socialized. Lots of feral kittens out there get taken to shelters by well-meaning people but socializing them is a long and hard project and sometimes can’t be done at all. Which would be heart-breaking for kids. Something to think about, a lot of times with an adult cat basically what you see is what you get, so if they get along well with kids then you’ll know it.

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I found our 2 kittens on Craigslist. I just typed in kittens and a bunch came up. So keep at it.
    I wanted 1 but didn’t want to split the bro and sis up, so now we have 2 cats and German shepherds. 1 big rowdy family

Brad Dimond

Second Hand Hounds also has cats for fostering and adoption.

pass0047
    Pool4

Go to tour local humane society. They will come with shots and neuter. Save slot and a chance maybe see several cats to compare.

Snake ii’s

You can also check with your Vet. They are a good resource for locating healthy kittens for responsible pet owners. It’s also a good idea to get set up with the Vet for a check up right after you acquire and before the kitten gets to your house.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We have 2 cats for each daughter. We got both as kittens within last 3 years. First one we got from shelter. I think it had shots. I think my wife paid a few hundred bucks for it. We had him neutered and declawed (couple hundred more). Second cat I heard about on FB through friend of friend. This was a farm cat. It was free. Had him neutered and declawed too. Both cats are strictly house cats. Both cats have been very good pets. Farm cat is much more social than the other cat. Never thought I would get fond of a cat. But they are pretty good pets.

TH

I put up a game cam on my remote cabin to keep an eye on it. Guess I don’t own it anymore, the cat does. It’s showed up several nights in a row. You’re welcome to this one. It’s not fixed, probably has bugs, it’s not declawed but it’s free.

Attachments:
    1. B22A4663-336A-4E6B-896D-EE79AA269390.jpeg

Mike West

Go to tour local humane society. They will come with shots and neuter. Save slot and a chance maybe see several cats to compare.

This… or a local rescue/shelter

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I put up a game cam on my remote cabin to keep an eye on it.

We have several of those. I once put out live trap for a raccoon, and I had a cat in the within 3 hours. It was not a friendly cat!

lindyrig79

Thanks for all the ideas

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

They still have a location for pets on Craigslist. On the home page look for community – There should be a section titled Pets. our local Craigs list always have a ton of kittens listed. The #’s are much higher in late spring and early summer. All my buddies laugh at me because I’m a outdoorsman they all think I should be a huge dog fan. I have never owned a Dog, but have owned a cat or two my whole life. They are a ton of fun as kittens but they grow out of that stage really fast. I’ve always had good luck with getting and having friendly cats. Some of my friends and family not as lucky. I think you can get a good read on their personalities when you first see them. If they are friendly and come right up to you and want to play then you are probably fine. If they are shy and want to hide and not play they MAY be harder to get to be friendly and playful.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Ralph i don’t think i have ever trapped one i would call friendly.

Bob Bowman
    MN

BUZZ….

Attachments:
    1. you-have-cat-to-be-kitten-me-right-meow-31365-wiley-by-camera-eye-photography-used-under-cc-by-20-flickrcomphotoscameraisamirrorwithmemor.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

All my buddies laugh at me because I’m a outdoorsman they all think I should be a huge dog fan. I have never owned a Dog, but have owned a cat or two my whole life.

Me too. Totally an outdoorsman, but have never had the time and inclination to own a dog.

Mrs. Grouse’s family always had cats, so we’ve always adopted adult cats. I have to say I find cats entertaining, they have very distinct personalities. Our last cat was a huge tom and he clearly viewed himself as the owner in this whole pet endeavor. It was quite clear that he viewed himself at the top of the household org chart from day one, to him we were all big cats, but in his mind, he was clearly in charge.

I like adopting adult cats because basically what you see is what you get. Like people they aren’t going to change.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    All my buddies laugh at me because I’m a outdoorsman they all think I should be a huge dog fan. I have never owned a Dog, but have owned a cat or two my whole life.

Me too. Totally an outdoorsman, but have never had the time and inclination to own a dog.

Mrs. Grouse’s family always had cats, so we’ve always adopted adult cats. I have to say I find cats entertaining, they have very distinct personalities. Our last cat was a huge tom and he clearly viewed himself as the owner in this whole pet endeavor. It was quite clear that he viewed himself at the top of the household org chart from day one, to him we were all big cats, but in his mind, he was clearly in charge.

I like adopting adult cats because basically what you see is what you get. Like people they aren’t going to change.

I couldn’t agree more on the not owning a dog thing. I love the outdoors, dogs, etc but do not have the time a dog deserves. Nothing bothers me more than locked up dogs or dogs that are not trained. I also have no desire to have a full grown dog inside. Maybe when I retire I will finally get one to train and spend my days with outside, but for now I pass.

We don’t own any sort of pets, but when we build another shed I’ll likely try to find some kind of stray to be a mouser around the buildings. Nothing is better than a clawed, untamed cat that can help control the mice and doesn’t need to be fed, trained, or ever touched waytogo

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

BUZZ….

Darn it Bob. You weren’t supposed to see my post. Don’t tell Dan. -)

Adam Steffes

If you put an empty cardboard box out and theres a cat within 5 miles of it you will have found a new pet.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you put an empty cardboard box out and theres a cat within 5 miles of it you will have found a new pet.

Correction: you never find a cat, they find you. frown

Cat people know what I’m talking about. waytogo

DANIEL BERGER

You are probably too far from northeast Iowa. I have 6 kittens that are around 2-3 weeks old, ( have to ask my son for sure on age).

bowman620

I know my brother is trying to find homes for some new kittens. Are you still looking some?

lindyrig79

Another forum member has hooked me up and we are picking up the kitten next weekend. Thanks to all

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.