Local report on Aitkin area?

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I really hate to be “that guy” to ask about the ice, but I’m 6 hours away and it’s hard to throw rocks onto the ice, from that distance.

I’d like to drive up and visit some non-fishing folks I know in the area. It would be nice to schedule so I could get a line wet while there.

That said,,,,,,,,,,, How thick is the ice? grin

TH

I can’t give you an official report on thickness. I live on Serpent Lake and it froze over last night. It is a deeper lake that takes a bit longer than the shallower ones. Give it a few days and you’ll be fine. It looks like a cold snap coming. By next weekend it will be fine.

Nodakk

Most smaller lakes around Brainerd have been froze up for a week or so. Looks like Gull froze over last night from the spots I’ve seen.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks to you as well, most helpful.

On a side note; Some guys are getting out on smaller ponds around here, here being 330 miles south of Aitkin.

Ripjiggen

Have a place just south of Aitkin. Bay was froze over last week. Lake is capped now.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks
    I’m hoping for about 5 inches so I can drive an ATV out. I also need to check the weather forecast.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Not Aitkin but I just got a report that there was some ice fishing on some smaller lakes in Carlton Co. When I drove through on Nov 20 Moose Lake was locked up and Sand Lake was partially covered (10 days ago).

I have to believe there is walkable ice to be found. Not sure about ATVs.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have to believe there is walkable ice to be found. Not sure about ATVs.

I did just check the ten day forecast and it is favorable for making ice. Not down to single digits but not above freezing either.

Thanks for the info.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

Drove around North Long and Round lakes just north of Brainerd. There was 5 different groups out on N Long on the 371 bay. One group had parked their truck and trailer on the ice about 10 yards out. Round lake had 3 groups out from the access on the shoreline break. All had walked out.

AK Guy

Drove around North Long and Round lakes just north of Brainerd. There was 5 different groups out on N Long on the 371 bay. One group had parked their truck and trailer on the ice about 10 yards out. Round lake had 3 groups out from the access on the shoreline break. All had walked out.

I saw the same group. There is one permanent house on North Long 371 bay, and there was an ATV out as well. Little early for me.

Ripjiggen

Will be full bore by next weekend up there I would guess.

Nodakk

People have been fishing N Long for 2 weeks now. First group I saw was the Monday of thanksgiving week.

Reed Moormeier
    Chaska, MN

Anyone been out on Big Sandy, wonderin how the ice is and how bad the slush is, I’m not going out unless I drive my Commander out.

dbright
    Cambridge

Anyone been out on Big Sandy, wonderin how the ice is and how bad the slush is, I’m not going out unless I drive my Commander out.

drifts are bad but sounds like the slush is starting to freeze up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.