Local boat dealers sign….

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

When I pulled in the parking lot, I have to admit that first thought was out of business.

Not 1 new boat in the place

Attachments:
    1. CA01DAAA-C34E-4CAD-A9D6-188DA8240581-scaled.jpeg

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

time to clean the shop real good!

David Blais

This has been Lacannes for months…

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I priced out a new jon boat last week, they had a couple in stock but they were way over msrp… Hopefully these guys get some boats in soon!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

This has been Lacannes for months…

This has been _____fill in the dealer____ for months

TH

I just bought a 2021 Ranger 1850 Reatta off the floor. Looked at it yesterday, took my wife to look today and bought it. It was in stock about 2 days. Other people that looked yesterday were coming back as we were leaving. Prices are going up 12-15% on a 2022. It seemed like a good buy knowing what it would cost if we had waited.

stevenoak

Local Polaris dealer hasn’t had a unit on the floor all year. As they come in. They are unloaded in the shop, prepped and delivered to folks waiting.

MnPat1

I just bought a 2021 Ranger 1850 Reatta off the floor. Looked at it yesterday, took my wife to look today and bought it. It was in stock about 2 days. Other people that looked yesterday were coming back as we were leaving. Prices are going up 12-15% on a 2022. It seemed like a good buy knowing what it would cost if we had waited.

They had a 2022 at the fair nicely outfitted for $61,000 plus tax.

Ripjiggen

Do boat dealers really even need to carry inventory at this point. Do car dealers. Kind of just need a basic floor model and have that transaction be made to order. I have a feeling the old saying of driving off the showroom floor is now forever a thing of the past.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do boat dealers really even need to carry inventory at this point. Do car dealers. Kind of just need a basic floor model and have that transaction be made to order. I have a feeling the old saying of driving off the showroom floor is now forever a thing of the past.

Let’s hope not. That’s the exact reason prices skyrocketed. Who ever these idiots are that pay 15k over msrp on trucks are driving the prices to stay sky high

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Let’s hope not. That’s the exact reason prices skyrocketed. Who ever these idiots are that pay 15k over msrp on trucks are driving the prices to stay sky high

Careful…(just kidding who cares)

There are a lot of posters here who either have or are buying new boats or trucks in the past year. People want to blame the government for shortages, shutdowns, inflation, etc. yet what we are seeing is capitalism and sheer supply and demand at its finest. Some of these dealers have absolutely lined their pockets due to absurd demand at values substantially more than what the product is worth to most people. The days of dealerships lining their lots and showrooms with units may be gone. Why take the risk of holding those when people will trample one another to pay absurd prices for something they order in on a contract for purchase?

Joe Schmo down the road bi****** about prices and shortages buying a new boat at 2k over MSRP is nothing more than a part of the issue. Then factor in current manufacturing quality issues in some industries and it’s quite the cycle.

CaptainMusky

Who ever these idiots are that pay 15k over msrp on trucks are driving the prices to stay sky high

Isn’t that the truth! I have been trying to buy a truck (not overly hard) since April. When one comes in that I would consider buying its gone in a day or two. Websites will show vehicles “in transit” but they cannot even say when they will arrive since they are waiting on chips at the factory. Factories are shutting down production to focus on getting already built vehicles out. I am probably going to order a truck. It will take months to get, but at least then I will get exactly what I want and don’t have to pounce on something within hours of it showing up. I am going to sell my truck to the dealer now and just drive an extra vehicle we have basically had parked for almost a year. They are going to write me a check for $3000 less than I paid for my truck 3 years ago. The market is insane.
    I’ve heard Dell and other microchip companies are building new plants here in the US but that will take years for them to be at capacity to handle the domestic demand. China has us over the barrel with this and Covid certainly isnt helping things either.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve heard Dell and other microchip companies are building new plants here in the US but that will take years for them to be at capacity to handle the domestic demand. China has us over the barrel with this and Covid certainly isnt helping things either.

I saw a thing on 60 Minutes last week about the microchip shortage. Intel is the only company that domestically produces microchips here in the USA. They are located just outside Phoenix. They are currently building a new facility right next door to their current one but it will take years to complete. Most of their chips don’t go to automobiles; they go to personal electronics. They have approximately 17% of the entire global microchip market. The rest is primarily produced in Taiwan. The CEO for Intel openly admitted that they are behind on technology compared to the microchips being produced overseas too.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I saw a thing on 60 Minutes last week about the microchip shortage. Intel is the only company that domestically produces microchips here in the USA. They are located just outside Phoenix. They are currently building a new facility right next door to their current one but it will take years to complete. Most of their chips don’t go to automobiles; they go to personal electronics. They have approximately 17% of the entire global microchip market. The rest is primarily produced in Taiwan. The CEO for Intel openly admitted that they are behind on technology compared to the microchips being produced overseas too.

I threw some $$$ at stocks in a Taiwan chip company following a buddy’s advice as the chip shortage was in its early stages. The small investment will be cashing out well enough ahead to pay for a couple nice trips on profits.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice move buckybadger!

CaptainMusky

My bad Intel not Dell! Duh.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

When it comes to over paying, just wait until real estate tax bills come out. You’ll really appreciate stupid people.

Because people are over paying on homes, it’s gonna drive up your value . So when you taxes blow up, thank the new idiots in the neighborhood

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I had a lady drive up and offer to buy my house. 30% over what I paid one year ago.

These are interesting times for sure.

CaptainMusky

I had a lady drive up and offer to buy my house. 30% over what I paid one year ago.

Yeah, its pretty crazy. When I typically trade my truck I am at break even point or maybe slightly below water. I will be taking $10k over what I owe because of the market. Then I wont have to buy new tires which it needs, make a payment for however many months, pay for tabs (due next month). I realize I will pay more in sales tax when the new one arrives since I am not trading at that time, but I will be able to do lots of things with this excess money in the near term. It will suck however not having a pickup for hunting season, but that is a small inconvenience.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

When it comes to over paying, just wait until real estate tax bills come out. You’ll really appreciate stupid people.

Because people are over paying on homes, it’s gonna drive up your value . So when you taxes blow up, thank the new idiots in the neighborhood

But, but, but, nobody SELLING a house/truck/boat is complaining about the increased values,,,,,

Buy low, sell high. Right?

HRG

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

It will be a long time if ever you will see a car lot chalk full of new cars. IMHO

CaptainMusky

It will be a long time if ever you will see a car lot chalk full of new cars. IMHO

I mentioned it in another post too. I dont think they will ever go back to full lots. That is a lot of overhead. Maybe they will, but it will take years to get there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The housing demand craze won’t last forever but is is not going away overnight. This will linger well into 2022 and likely plateau with high housing prices becoming a fairly common fixture indefinitely. There has been a rising housing shortage for quite some time. Many millennials burdened by student loan debt haven’t even entered the market yet despite the high wages they are earning. As that happens in coming years, it will keep prices high.

I don’t think we’re ever going to see decently constructed “starter homes” selling for $150-200k again. Material prices may come down, but labor prices rarely go backwards. The company that we are going with for my ICF foundation is hiring at $22.50 an hour, no experience required to literally show up as grunt labor with a bonus if you last 3 months. Our lumberyard here will pay $30 an hour with no experience to walk in the door with a CDL. Experience driving a boom truck will put you at $35-40 an hour with ease to just pick up and put down building materials and drive rural roads.

Adam Steffes

I have one for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants it! Take it home today.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

But, but, but, nobody SELLING a house/truck/boat is complaining about the increased values,,,,,

Buy low, sell high. Right?

HRG

That’s the problem. The few that are selling F it up for the rest of us

queenswake
    NULL

Has anyone heard of the boat manufacturers expanding their lines? I suppose they can’t because of the employee shortage? I just keep thinking about how Lund, Alumacraft, and Ranger have been selling like hotcakes for years now even way before the pandemic. You’d think they’d want to sell more boats to meet the demand and unlike cars, I wouldn’t think the investment to expand their facilities would be as high.

I completely agree that boat dealers are likely to go the path of having a showroom to show each model, but not have any on the lot in inventory. Each dealer has x number of slots from each manufacturer, and right now all of those slots are being filled by custom orders. Even if the dealers wanted to fill a lot, they simply cannot because Joe blow will come in tomorrow taking one of the slots.

Ripjiggen

That’s the problem. The few that are selling F it up for the rest of us

Yeah the guys selling when demand is high are idiots.
    If you think prices are going to come down you are dreaming.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

“Show me the money.” grin

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What did she look like? wink

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

What did she look like? wink

Like she had money. coffee

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.