Livewell screen

• isu22andy

Any tips to get this livewell intake screen off ? Tried unscrewing it , can’t really get behind it to pry it . Have put a channel locks on it but haven’t gotten real aggressive yet . 03 Crestliner . Want to plug my livewell intake as plan to fish in some close to freezing weather . Or am I fine not doing it ? Also – is it bad idea to return to un heated garage ? Should be fine as long as outboard drained I’d think .

Attachments:
    1. 9B87F51C-72C6-4491-A0B3-4E96379B58A9-scaled.jpeg

isu22andy

Pic attached

Attachments:
    1. DEF3D189-FDAC-42B1-A8F0-A58DA5600B5B-scaled.jpeg

matt

Never seen screen like that,not sure how to remove it.I fish below freezing and have no heated garage. Have never plugged the livewell intake and never had a problem arise.Other than draining the trailer/boat before pulling up the ramp I do nothing different than I would if I were using the boat in July.Good Luck!

isu22andy

Hit the livewell switch today out of morbid curiosity – she’s froze up . Am I likely fine or should I grab the heat gun ?

rkb1041

If memory serves me correctly, it is left handed thread.

matt

Just dont run the pump until it thaws out.Not saying it hasnt happened to someone but I have never seen nor heard of a livewell pump bursting/cracking/breaking from being frozen.The pumps in the rear of the boat are self draining and wide open for the most part.I cant see enough pressure building inside of one when the water freezes to break anything.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Those screens just unscrew. It either un screws or had a plastic lock nut on the inside. I wouldn’t worry about it freezing. I fish in many cold conditions and have 2 livwell pumps and 3 livewells. Just don’t run them

isu22andy

Flipped switch tonight as it was 45 in the garage all day – ran just fine . Maybe snake some rv antifreeze through it tommorow . Just wondering as the cartridge is the lowest point in the system if that was enough to burst open that plastic or if others em freeze like mine and been fine for years. Rather plug it if I could but don’t want to break stuff in the process !

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Once in a while you have to break something to learn how it comes apart.
    Be bold and learn!!!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

When I fish Superior in winter I just dump some RV in live well till it drips out the intake after the trip.
    But I do know a lot of guys will put an “boat style” plug in the intake also.

isu22andy

Screen is threaded for anyone searching this for future use – when they glued the fitting from the factory the glue got into the threads – the whole unit came unscrewed . I’ll get some new glue and fitting and be back in business !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.