Livescope versus 360 Imaging

• FryDog62

I’ve had a couple inquiries/PM’s about which I like better – not sure I have the answer people might expect/hope for, but will cut/past here how I responded:

First, I’m primarily a bass fisherman but have targeted pike, walleyes, white bass and crappies at times this past year. I have had Livescope for 3 seasons and 360 Imaging for one. This was the first year I used them together. Much of my opinions below are generalities and there are always exceptions.

Livescope: Absolutely excels in the spring pre-spawn period where for me, 360 Imaging isn’t worthless but not very useful IMO. Outside of spawn beds (which I don’t target much, and you can just sight fish with good polarized sunglasses anyway) fish aren’t set up on/near structure yet, they are roaming and that is where Livescope kicks tail. Seeing schools of crappies, white bass or other species moving around is lights out with a jerk bait. You not only see the fish, but also what depth they are at, how far down they are suspended, etc. I also found walleyes just off the emerging weed line on Opener and caught a limit. I’ll post a picture below of a large school of white bass in 16 fow, about half way down. I could figure out whether to use a shallow or deep jerk bait a lot easier once I knew their depth. Livescope also is awesome in down view for drop-shotting as the season goes on.

360 Imaging: I didn’t get much benefit from it until post-spawn when the fish set up on off-shore cover, drop-offs and rocks. Pre-360 I could always find a concentrated boulder field but struggled to find broken/chunk/scattered rock even with side imaging (I could find it on SI but didn’t always successfully pinpoint it when fishing). I was amazed this year how I was able to find some isolated areas and catch more than one fish. Finding the big boulder field is a no-brainer, but you can really key in on specific rocks – the biggest one, or one on the end of a point, etc. I even found a sunken picnic table on the Mississippi in 18 feet of water and could drop my jig right right through a missing plank after a few tries. Was great target practice to learn depth perception, distance from the outer rings on the 360 graph, etc. When it got hot this Summer and fishing was really tough, finding bottom structure with a Ned or football jig was sometimes nothing short of incredible.

Both: Livescope didn’t come much back into play for me again until Fall when fish started to transition and move again. But at that time, it was a great combo with 360 to see rocks or sunken trees and then see fish moving around it with Livescope to see if anyone was home.

A couple other general observations:

I was surprised how little the two technologies overlapped. Rarely ever got benefit from them simultaneously.

Both technologies were good to see/track the outside weedlines. I had heard some people previously say one or the other is better – but both work well.

Sometimes big fish (or 2-3 together) look too good to be true but you can’t get them to bite. Wish I had an Aqua-Vu to determine if they are rough fish which they probably are.

Besides a jerk bait bite, I seem to catch more fish now when the lure slowly gets into the bite window and gradually moves versus – fast retrieve. Confirms I have always fished too fast. I had much better results with finesse applications. I have been a long-time critic of the Nerd-Rig (slow, tedious, last resort) but I learned it this year and it absolutely saved my bacon time and time again when I put it in the spot-on-the-spot.

Fish rarely sit still in one location very long. You have to be in the right spot at the right time. These two technologies absolutely help you do this.

———————————————

So the question I get a lot is if you had to buy one, which would you? Wish I had an easy answer, but I don’t. If you fished one way or the other as described above – roaming fish vs. fish set up on structure/cover – you could pick one over the other. Unfortunately for me anyway, the expensive answer is both. Neither is cheap, but kind of like when you added automatic windows to your car in the 90’s, you’d never go back to a crank up system now…

Glad I purchased them both and am looking forward to next year to learn them more ~

Attachments:
    1. 0EC73988-7639-4637-8C15-3E6594CD0C8C-1.jpeg

2. 25877C73-4698-4D71-87D1-657C31DC1273_4_5005_c.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can you pick up where your jig lands or any of it’s movement while fishing that structure at all with 360?

FryDog62

Can you pick up where your jig lands or any of it’s movement while fishing that structure at all with 360?

Not that I really ever saw on 360… maybe when it sweeps you could see some limited movement… Livescope yes.

mrpike1973

Thanks for the post I have neither but when/if the price ever goes down some I will be looking. Thanks for the honesty.

BrianF

I was surprised how little the two technologies overlapped. Rarely ever got benefit from them simultaneously.

Good post Fry, though was surprised by this observation.

We must use our electronics differently because I’m using the two technologies in concert with each other all the time. They do such different things that without one, the other has less value – to me at least. Could give some good examples to illustrate but don’t want to bore the readership here.

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

Good post Fry, though was surprised by this observation.

We must use our electronics differently because I’m using the two technologies in concert with each other all the time. They do such different things that without one, the other has less value – to me at least. Could give some good examples to illustrate but don’t want to bore the readership here.

Agree, I do use them together but should clarify – a lot of the times I see something noteworthy (fish, structure, etc.) its on one of the two systems not very often both. So both are important to have but usually one is much more helpful in any given situation.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Does the 360 show fish very well? Or, is it mainly to see structure? What depths are the best to use it in? I’m kinda interested.

FryDog62

Does the 360 show fish very well? Or, is it mainly to see structure? What depths are the best to use it in? I’m kinda interested.

Livescope excels at showing fish, their depth, which way they are moving, etc. Especially good with suspended fish. You can occasionally see fish as small white returns on 360, but it will just show the small return image at the time it sweeps past that specific location. It’s hard to tell which way the fish is heading until the next sweep.

360 is the better of the two technologies in terms of getting clear visuals of the bottom structure and cover. Helps gives you find the high percentage targets to cast to, but may or may not show fish very clearly.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

I also have both, I consider myself a multi species fisherman. I have found livescope is fantastic for panfish, and very good for walleye out deep. but I prefer the 360 fishing bass most of the time and its also better if the walleye are relating to cover.

The 360 is a set and forget unit and helps me fish faster and more effective in most fishing situations.

The Livescope takes a lot of messing with sometimes to find the right settings and I feel that sometimes it is a great asset to a successful day, however sometimes it can be a hinderance as well. IE wasting time adjusting or fine tuning or trying to get fish to bite that are not interested. staring at an addicting screen and not fishing!

both are cutting edge tech and have strengths and weaknesses but I think if I had to pick one it would be a 360. unless we include ice fishing when i can use it all year long then defiantly livescope! I think maybe idk I’m so confused now….. Both YEP BOTH kids don’t need a collage fund, they can join the air force or something!

Nodakk

Last year I did have a successful NWT angler tell me he was hesitant to put it on his boat as he had seen guys spend too much time on fish that wouldn’t bite because they could see them on Livescope. With that being said, I do own a Livescope bundle lol.

I do want to see 360 in action ice fishing reefs on Northern Mn lakes. I feel like it would help break down a spot faster than my Livescope unit

FryDog62

“Both YEP BOTH kids don’t need a collage fund, they can join the air force or something!”

Ha! Yes I told my daughter any cheap JOP wedding in Vegas will do, just marry the right guy…

Sylvanboat

I have heard w 360 you can narrow the sweep of the sonar to a pie slice. Then speed up the sweep to “mimic” Livescope. Has anybody tried this ?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I wouldn’t think it would be anywhere near as “live” and the live imagine. I don’t know though.

One thing I’ve notice from watching the three elite series tournaments this season is the live imagine is very helpful in water deeper than 6 or 8 feet. Most guys have it off in shallower water which makes sense.

FryDog62

I have heard w 360 you can narrow the sweep of the sonar to a pie slice. Then speed up the sweep to “mimic” Livescope. Has anybody tried this ?

Yes you can narrow the sweep and speed up. Helps to see things faster if you’re narrowed in on a specific area. Still not quite real time but can help.

FryDog62

I wouldn’t think it would be anywhere near as “live” and the live imagine. I don’t know though.

One thing I’ve notice from watching the three elite series tournaments this season is the live imagine is very helpful in water deeper than 6 or 8 feet. Most guys have it off in shallower water which makes sense.

Yes, unless I’m looking down a shoreline in shallow water to follow a submerged weed edge or rip-rap, I will either turn off or not watch the scope again until I get in deeper water. Best vision in 3-4 feet of water are still polarized glasses!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.