Live Minnow Rigging Walleyes

• Obsession
    Maple Grove

Folks, I’m newer to ice fishing for walleyes and hoping to make improvements for next season.

This season I only landed about 33% of walleye bites on live minnows. I typically rig a small sucker or shiner with a single #6 octopus hooked through the back (just behind the dorsal fin). I used a small float to detect bites on a slack line jigging rod. Typically, I’d wait 10-15 seconds after the strike to set.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Bigger hook or treble for that size bait.

Smellson

Bigger hook or treble for that size bait.

What he said ^. Minimum size 4 hook and for small suckers I would probably use a size 2.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

I hear ya on the bigger hook size. Do you still run just one hook? Certain hook style?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Are you taking the line slack out before setting the hook? Guessing you’re pretty experienced here but sometimes hookset technique matters.

Smellson

If I’m fishing on a rod, I run a single hook. If it’s a tipup or rattle reel I’ll throw on a single treble hook. Im honestly not sure I couldn’t get away with just using a treble on my rod setups either, the fish don’t seem to mind them on my set lines….

Obsession
    Maple Grove

I wish I’d found that IDO video before this season!

I avoided trebles thinking their size might limit the action of the minnow. I can see how this wouldn’t be a concern for larger minnows. I’ll certainly pick up a pack of these quick strike trebles before next ice season.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Are you taking the line slack out before setting the hook? Guessing you’re pretty experienced here but sometimes hookset technique matters.

Yes, I tighten until I feel resistance then make a smooth pull for the set.

In most cases, I feel the weight of the fish for an instant (even if I let the fish run for some time). It make sense that using too small a hook would yield this result.

Ryan Overson

Anyone looking for those Sure Set hooks in the video, they have some at Jann’s Netcraft.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.