live image basics 101 ?

• cheers

Sorry if this has been covered in posts all ready but can we please start from ground zero ? I am at a disadvantage when it comes to new fads and equipment. My problem is that I cant go to the city’s and the big box stores to see the new stuff and talk to sales guys and reps to get advise . I live in a remote area far away from stores so I have to buy sight unseen online and try to figure things out for myself .I asked my local marine dealer about live image options but they shrugged there shoulders and said they have never heard about it . You tube and you guys are my main source for info .

So I would like some sort of live image unit that I can use year round, it needs to be portable. I would like to be able to see fish as they swim in and out. I don’t want the transducer mounted to trolling motor . I have helix units in my boat and a portable for ice fishing but suspect they wont come into play with a new unit. I have no interest or need to be linking units together

So what would you advise a fellow fisherman to buy ? Please keep in mind I have no background in this area so answers need to be simple to understand

JoeMX1825
    MN

First off you mentioned it needs to be portable. What is your definition of portable? I say that because even the lightest Live imaging portable setup still weighs about 20 lbs, they are the size of a large bowling ball bag and you also need to carry around the telescoping pole system, its not a typical hole hopper…

If you’re ok with all of that, check out the Garmin board for lots of Livescope info from owners like myself. I believe the Lowrance and Humminbird boards have info on their systems.

I’m pretty sure you need at a minimum a Gen3 Helix Mega SI unit to run Humminbird’s Liveview

Youtube is your best bet to understanding the fundamentals, there’s really no “here’s the exact specs to use” because every body of water is different (clarity, bottom hardness, etc) it’s more about understanding exactly what the Gain, Color gain, TVG, Noise Reduction settings all do…

Ty Kennedy

I have the livescope ice bundle with an upgraded lithium battery on a pole mount that slides into a track system on the boat. I love it. Have just started getting the hang of it for crappies but basically I drive around scanning side to side and once I find fish/structure I get downwind of it, then drive straight upwind toward the structure and spot lock with the fish between the trolling motor and me in the back of the boat. Allows me to pitch slightly forward for them while fishing with one hand and moving the pole mount with my other hand.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.