Little Buddy heater and Otter Lodge

• Matthew Sandys

I was wondering if a little buddy heater would heat up my otter lodge enough? It is the insulated model and I have a big buddy heater now. Was looking to put a tee on my 10# propane tank and just run it off that. Would save some room in the shack. I figured someone had done it before.

curleytail

It’s warm enough depending on the conditions outside and how warm you want the shack.

Is it enough after dark when it’s -15 and a 20 mph wind? Not really. But if it’s an average winter day and you’re looking to be comfortable in bibs and a sweatshirt and keep holes open or mostly open, I think it’s enough to do that.

It wouldn’t be the only heater I rely on but it’s light, saves space, and should keep you fairly comfortable in many conditions.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I have a few year old Pro Lodge and both heaters. The Buddy is plenty, in fact I hardly ever put it on the 9000 btu setting once warmed up. I sit inside in jeans and a light zip up hoodie most times. I was out in -10 to -15 quite a few times before it gets to wheelhouse season.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

What else do you use propane for in a portable like that for you to have to tee off you’re tank?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I was wondering if a little buddy heater would heat up my otter lodge enough? It is the insulated model and I have a big buddy heater now. Was looking to put a tee on my 10# propane tank and just run it off that. Would save some room in the shack. I figured someone had done it before.

The Little Buddy Heater design, uses the one pound tank, to support the heater head. Yes, a bulk supply hose can be used to supply propane but it would lack any support structure.

Attachments:
    1. littlebuddy.jpg

Matthew Sandys

No hose was thinking on my tank. I never fish super cold and windy. Not worth it just end up cold and breaking something.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2020-11-27-at-7.15.13-AM.png

2. Screen-Shot-2020-11-27-at-7.15.24-AM.png

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Sorry Mathew I didn’t see little buddy. I think it would heat it ok but might me marginal at times like Curlytail said.

gonehunting

You will never regret having the extra heat. In my lodge I run the big buddy on low 90% of the time. However if I’m fishing Lake Winnipeg in -20 to -30 degrees F I want more heat. For around here I’d suggest at minimum the regular buddy. My opinion only.

SW Eyes

I run the regular portable buddy with one heating element in my otter and it keeps it toasty no matter the conditions outside.

I would think the little buddy would be insufficient for extremely cold days, but it would probably work fine most of the time.

Not sure if you already have one, but the regular portable buddy is only $20-30 bucks more than the little buddy. It’s probably worth the extra cash.

Matthew Sandys

SW Eyes,
    That is the other thing I was looking at too. Little buddy is almost a much as buddy heater.
    It is nice to be toasty warm was just looking for maybe some space savings.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Regular buddy-3000 to 9000, are great for deer stands also.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

No hose was thinking on my tank. I never fish super cold and windy. Not worth it just end up cold and breaking something.

What you show in the pics will work just fine. How do I know that? Those are my photos from way back several years ago. grin

When I set that up, I was using either a 20lb tank or a 5lb tank. The heater mounted to the 5lb tank could sit in my one man flip shelter and I never had to move it.

Matthew Sandys

Hunindave,
    I like the idea of not having to move it and space savings. I saw a video of it the other day and got me thinking. Always looking for a little more room.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

That is the other thing I was looking at too. Little buddy is almost a much as buddy heater.
    It is nice to be toasty warm was just looking for maybe some space savings.

If you’re worried the Little Buddy might not suffice for your heating needs, just step up to the regular Buddy. In this case, more than you might need is always better than not enough when trying to keep warm.

You can easily save space by just screwing 1 lb cylinders into the heater. They’re not prohibitively that much more expensive and you’ll reduce the risk of blowing yourself up. eek

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Look on U Tube. “3 Ultimate Mr Heater Hacks”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.