Lithium Battery for Locator

• candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

This might have been brought up before. In cold weather and fishing outside exclusively, does the lithium battery last as long as a standard battery? I know that for battery powered ice augers they recommend keeping them warm when not in use. This would not be practical for a fish locator. I fish 4 to 5 times a week, for 4 to 6 hours each day and always outside. I have only fished in a clam once this year. My battery is getting weak and needs to be replaced. Would a lithium battery be justified?

I know a few people that use them and nobody i know considers it an issue. I’ve never noticed a lack of capacity and always set my flasher directly on the ice and snow, often outside a shelter. Or in the far corner from my heater.

Would a lithium battery be justified?

You get:
    Increased capacity
    Less weight
    Fast charging (approx. 4x faster)

You also get:
    Increased risk of failure and fire.
    Unproven reliability
    Cost
    Non-standard charger

If you run a vex, you can get away with a lot less battery for the run-times you suggest. This allows the battery to both weigh and cost less.

John Stephan

I have replaced std batteries in both my locators with Li Ion batteries from a company called Shorai. They make several sizes and capacities of 12 volt batteries. It’s been three years now and I have been completely satisfied. No special charger needed and my locators feel feather light compared to using lead batteries. Also, I have never run out of power, although I usually charge every day or two. The battery power indicator on one of the units (Vex) never seems to drop below 100%.

The bad news is they are expensive. Also if you talk to someone at Shorai,they will tell you their batteries are not intended/designed for slow draw usage. But I have never had a problem of any kind. Hope that helps.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’m running the Lithium battery on my LX5i and last year with my LX5 and I have run 3 days without needing a charge !!

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have been running a Lithium battery in my lx-6 and I love it. Lighter for hole hopping and lasts way longer as Dave said even with my lx-6 I have fished 2+ days with out charging it. Solar Sportsmen sells the battery I use. I use the charger that came with my lx-6 as well with no issues. 3rd season with the same battery. Normally would have bought at least one lead acid by now.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I have an Ice Force lithium paired up with an Vex FLX28/Elite-4 HDI GPS Combo. I Have fished 3 days straight in brutal South Dakota windy temps without a charge.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

I usually use a Hummingbird Ice 55. I fish outside if the weather is 0 degrees or warmer. It also depends on the wind, sun, and the lake I am fishing. I have fished outside with minus 0 temps when it is sunny and no wind.

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

I am a huge supporter of the Lithium Ion batteries, I find I get a lot more runtime versus the standard 12v battery. That is important to me, because I will fish two, three days in a row without having to charge yet another electronic item.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.