Lithium amp hour for bow mount??

• jerad

Thinking about going to lithiums for 36v 105 lb bow mount. There is quite a price difference between 50 amp hour and 100 amp hour. Are the 50’s enough battery?

Musky Ed

I would get the 100’s and be done with it without ever worrying about it. I went with 125’s on my new boat, but honestly probably could have went with 100’s.
    I almost exclusively troll, and my front trolling motor is down and running the whole time. I have never been below 70% at the end of the day, and I have a 22′ boat.
    You havent really hiven us anny info such as how big your boat is, length of time per day on trolling motor, and how you use it.
    Ionic has a summer sale going on now, fantastic quality battery at a great price.
    Be a member of Bass Boat Central, and you get a further discount.

Droptinex2

Jared, just some basic rules to follow when replacing wet cell batteries with lithium. I will assume you have 3 group 31 deep cycle battery’s currently. Each group 31 has approximately 90 AH of power in them. Approximately 50% is usable before the voltage drops to low for your motor to run. So currently you have ~135 AH with your 3 group31’s. With lithium you use something over 90% of the available AH rating of the battery. So if you use 3 50 AH lithium batteries your usable power will be 135AH similar to the three group 31’s.

3 group 31’s = 45×3=135AH. (90AH x 50% = 45AH)
    3 50AH lithium = 45 x 3 = 135AH. (50AH x 90% = 45AH)

If you’re happy with the available power of your group 31’s, go with 3 50 AH lithiums. If not spend the money on 100AH batteries. (270 AH with 3 100 AH)

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

I do alot of the same type of fishing as you Ed. Trolling for salmon and walleyes with the bowmount down for steering. Boat is a Lund tyee 208gl. I was looking at the sale on the Ionics that you mentioned.

I currently have AGM’s and they are crazy heavy.

Musky Ed

Ya, I saved about 100 lbs, is my boat faster because of it, don’t think so. Take off is slightly quicker, although my boat always had a quick, low bow rise takeoff. Also had to lower my engine height setting from my last boat apx 1/2″. Last boat was the same as current one. My new boat is apx 1 mph faster than last so maybe it is slightly faster. The main gain is the massive increase in battery power and never having to worry about running out of power. I actually had had a 5 bank charger instead of the original 4 bank put in my new boat, along with 5 battery trays incase I wanted to go with a house battery for my new electronics. So far I am still running 4 batteries, but if I decide to go with 5, I will still be 60 to 70 lbs lighter than the standard 4 battery setup.
    These new batteries are just beyond impressive, and even though you really don’t need it, their app showing everything going on about the batteries is just fantastic. You can monitor everything, charge %, current draw, and battery health.

mojogunter

buy one 36v 60AH battery, and that will last longer than the 3 31’s. I went with two 36v 60ah lithium batteries and I have never had them drop below 63% in 12 hours. I think with one you will be just fine.

Matthew Sandys

I know it was stated above about amps but it was calculated wrong.

Batteries in parallel the voltage stays the same and amps are the sum of batteries.

For batteries in series, the voltage increases for sum of the batteries, and amps stay the same.

Example 3 batteries in series make 36 volts; if all 90 AH batteries, you still only have 90 amps. Of those 90 amps, you can use 45 amps before you get a voltage too low.

So, a 100 amp littium would give you more than double the run time.

It is easy to get series and parallel rules mixed up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.