Liquid Willowcat Plastics

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Recently I purchased some of the Liquid Willowcat plastics to try side by side with the real thing and here’s what I found.

One thing I found is that the plastics do not hold up well at all with the wire keeper that most jigs have these days. I found that after a few snags or a few short strikes (several fish would pick up the tail and run) or a few fish, that the softness of the plastic would rip at the keeper and then the plastic would not stay up on the jig. I have not tried the superglue trick yet.. On the plus side to softness… I really find the the fish pick it up and i think they feel it’s real live bait along with the impregnated scent.

The type of jig that holds these plastics is the New HSBJ Hybrid Swimbait Jig…This jig has a wider gap that maximizes hook sets and hybrid bend for extra strength. Wide diameter spring keeper to securely lock soft plastics in place – ideal for swimbaits. I could not get this plastic to fail at all once loaded up.. Really like this jig and it comes in 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 oz so no matter what the conditions I’m able to get the presentation in the strike zone..

So as far as catching fish.. I have been out just a few times playing with these and so fare I like what I have seen… Several walleyes, SM Bass, Sheepies and even Rock Bass…. Some fish pick it up and run, some just light bite and some smack the heck out of it (love that !!)

This my thoughts so far, I’ll be out trying other methods and locations to try and trick the sought-after walleye and I’ll stay in touch…

The Tug is the Drug !!

Attachments:
    1. 20210908_064913-scaled.jpg

2. Liquid-Willowcat.jpg

3. HSBJ-Hybrid-Swimbait-Jig.jpg

milemark_714

Good write-up.What are your thoughts on the scent alone,I seen this in a local bait shop.The stuff in the bottle.

I also tried the plastic ones,and they were one of the very few plastic baits that got stolen.I am going to glue a part of a pen/lighter spring on a h2o style jig for these.I had the problem you had on one,and had 3 that went missing on a hook set.They do work,and smallmouths also love them.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have tried the liquid Willow cat in the bottle. I’ve had some luck with that as well. I put it on the BfishN Tackle pulsar

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I know the guy who owns the company. He tossed my son a bottle of the scent one day. My son used the scent on his blade bait and caught fish.

I’m terribly allergic to willow cats, so I do use the plastics from time to time. It is a very soft plastic, but I’ve found that using a smaller jug to keep the bait moving and out of the rocks is key. I also like to throw them on a heavier jig and run then like a swimbait.

The leech plastics are very good. They move like crazy, and can be used under a slip bobber. I don’t use bobbers often, but they’re a great option to have in the boat, so I don’t have to remember to pick up bait for the once or twice a year that I actually fish with them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.